Mander Organ Builders Forum

Elgar - Larghetto from Serenade for Strings

Malcolm Kemp

Priory Radio keeps on playing a rather good organ transcription of this piece, apparently played by Thomas Murray. Is anyone able to point me in the direction of where I might find a copy, please? One website quotes a transcription by C H Trevor dating from the early 1940s but I don't know how I would get a copy of that in the UK or whether it's the edition Murrary uses.

I'm not against playing occasional transcrpitions in recitals because they often go down quite well with audiences that are not greatly into serious church/organ music.

Thanks

Malcolm

Priory Radio keeps on playing a rather good organ transcription of this piece, apparently played by Thomas Murray. Is anyone able to point me in the direction of where I might find a copy, please? One website quotes a transcription by C H Trevor dating from the early 1940s but I don't know how I would get a copy of that in the UK or whether it's the edition Murrary uses.

I'm not against playing occasional transcrpitions in recitals because they often go down quite well with audiences that are not greatly into serious church/organ music.

Thanks

Malcolm

I don't know about the C H Trevor version but the one I use is here (scroll down a bit to Elgar) - nice and easy and an effective arrangement - and good value too.

A

• 2 years later...

C.H.Trevor's arrangement is good, effective but 'playable', and published by British and Continental Music Agency (!).

To really bring it off you have to be clever with registration, and blessed with an organ having plenty of strings and octave couplers.