Mander Organ Builders Forum

Francis Jackson Recital Liverpool

Adnosad

sigh.....I wasn't being serious! Irony, sarcasm and the like doesn't work in print does it.

No it doesn't, does it!!

............................ and the written word often comes over as being more abrupt than is meant - and, for that, I apologise!

I also agree that Francis Jackson should be knighted. If that was to happen it would probably restore my belief in the system.

I was lucky to meet the man on several occasions when I was just starting out in this game and to this this day I have never forgotten the help, advice and support he gave me. I am therefore so glad to hear that he is still actively performing, despite his advancing years and I will make a new year resolutuion to go and hear him and perhaps meet him once again

I am also surprised/delighted/astonished to hear that Her Majesty might also take the time to perform on the organ occasionally.

Of course, she has several good instruments to chosse from in Buck House, especially the one in the ballroom, which deserves to be better known by the general population. Orginally moved there by Prince Albert (for his own use ) from Brighton, I think it was restored quite recently.

I also agree that Francis Jackson should be knighted. If that was to happen it would probably restore my belief in the system.

To be serious, I believe the reason it has not happened - as has been cited on this forum - is that such preferment would be unsympathetic to his wife's Quaker beliefs.

JS

To be serious, I believe the reason it has not happened - as has been cited on this forum - is that such preferment would be unsympathetic to his wife's Quaker beliefs.

JS

=========================

Can't he divorce her, on the grounds of cruelty?

MM

He was discussed on Radio 4's "Question Time" yesterday. The only person present who thought his comment at all funny was the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. Says it all really.

============================

What do you expect from the chattering classes?

England has become the most depressing and souless country in Europe.

MM

He was discussed on Radio 4's "Question Time" yesterday. The only person present who thought his comment at all funny was the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. Says it all really.

Oh come off it! He's only one person and he can say what he likes - unless you think there is a serious possibility of crazed Top-Gear viewers going and buying firearms just because Jezza says so :rolleyes:

I worry much more about those (of all political persuasions) who speak smooth words about power to the people, whilst having their own snouts firmly in the trough whenever they think they can get away with it. Do you know how much trade union bosses are paid? B)

Oh come off it! He's only one person and he can say what he likes - unless you think there is a serious possibility of crazed Top-Gear viewers going and buying firearms just because Jezza says so :rolleyes:

I worry much more about those (of all political persuasions) who speak smooth words about power to the people, whilst having their own snouts firmly in the trough whenever they think they can get away with it. Do you know how much trade union bosses are paid? B)

==========================

Top trade-union persons, (gender neutral of course), are paid anything up to £120,000 pa; much the same as the Prime Minister.

I don't know what Jeremy Clarkson earns, (quite a bit I would think), but he earns his money, if only as an export.

I suspect that although 20,000 disapproved of his comment, another 20,000,000 were laughing their socks off.

Anyway, they all pale into insignificance when compared with football players and grand prix drivers, who earn simply staggering amounts on the basis of TV and advertising revenues.

Thank heavens there are people who are not afraid to pinch ear-lobes and prick inflated balloons.

MM

==========================

Top trade-union persons, (gender neutral of course), are paid anything up to £120,000 pa; much the same as the Prime Minister.

I don't know what Jeremy Clarkson earns, (quite a bit I would think), but he earns his money, if only as an export.

I suspect that although 20,000 disapproved of his comment, another 20,000,000 were laughing their socks off.

Anyway, they all pale into insignificance when compared with football players and grand prix drivers, who earn simply staggering amounts on the basis of TV and advertising revenues.

Thank heavens there are people who are not afraid to pinch ear-lobes and prick inflated balloons.

MM

I expect this thread will be closed before long, in the meantime I'll say that I think humour/comedy/satire has every right to offend, pinch ear-lobes and prick inflated balloons, and there is a long and dishonourable British tradition of doing all those things to brilliant effect, but I consider Clarkson to be unfunny to the point of boorishness. I'd much rather see Stuart Lee. What annoys me about Clarkson is that I suspect his true métier is a columnist in the same, dire, category as Richard Littlejohn, who tote a political agenda under the guise of just being an ordinary bloke whilst pocketing much more money than the politicians and Union leaders they relentlessly pillory.

I would have more sympathy with the members of the chattering classes who have taken such delight at being offended by JC's comments (boorish though they undoubtedly are) if they took similar offence at the hideous, spiteful and cruel jibes thrown at disabled people by certain repulsive, spoiled (but acceptably lefty) adolescents who presume to call themselves 'edgy' comedians (and are on our screens night after night). Until they do, their posturing has no moral authority (IMHO).

Three further points:

1. I am a public sector employee (at least some of the time).

2. Whilst I have no desire to discus my family circumstances on this board, I ABSOLUTELY have the moral authority to make the above comment.

3. Can we please get back to being pipe organ anoraks.

=========================

How dare you call me an anorak? :rolleyes:

MM

I have a pipe organ anorak. I use it when I arrive at a church to tune the organ and the place is as cold as Siberia in winter. Then you are expected to tune the thing so it sounds perfectly wonderful by the time Sunday comes and they have whacked the heating up to maximum.

Experience over the years has taught me how to tune the reeds sharp in order to compensate for this somewhat but its always going to be a bit hit and miss!

There again, this is really another subject altogether.

I use it when I arrive at a church to tune the organ and the place is as cold as Siberia in winter. Then you are expected to tune the thing so it sounds perfectly wonderful by the time Sunday comes and they have whacked the heating up to maximum.

Ha!

"We're not putting our expensive heating on just to keep your men warm."!

Twice I've had that one.

Ha!

"We're not putting our expensive heating on just to keep your men warm."!

Twice I've had that one.

Ahhh.... such _good_ Christian hospitality!

(Of course there is another solution to all of this, but will not mention it, lest I get into trouble!) :rolleyes:

I have a pipe organ anorak. I use it when I arrive at a church to tune the organ and the place is as cold as Siberia in winter. Then you are expected to tune the thing so it sounds perfectly wonderful by the time Sunday comes and they have whacked the heating up to maximum.

Experience over the years has taught me how to tune the reeds sharp in order to compensate for this somewhat but its always going to be a bit hit and miss!

There again, this is really another subject altogether.

Hi

That sort of attitude just shows how much the church values the instrument and quality of music. Henry Wilis will be pleased to know that the heating in my church is set to turn on in good time before the tuner's visit on Friday, so hopefully, the building will be up to Sunday temperatures.

Every Blessing

Tony