Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Nation's Top Christmas Carols

DouglasCorr

Well I bet you all had anxious moments on this. The Nation's favourite carol is the same as last year-

'O Holy Night', by Adolphe Adam

Nothing like a good Victorian Christmas what?

Hmmm maybe it sounds better in French?....

Still it reminds me of the Cantique de Jean Racine - a far better piece IMO. And by the way, according to Wikipedia the Cantique is also available in a version arranged for strings and harp by, yes you guessed it, John Rutter!!

Well I bet you all had anxious moments on this. The Nation's favourite carol is the same as last year-

'O Holy Night', by Adolphe Adam

Nothing like a good Victorian Christmas what?

Hmmm maybe it sounds better in French?....

Still it reminds me of the Cantique de Jean Racine - a far better piece IMO. And by the way, according to Wikipedia the Cantique is also available in a version arranged for strings and harp by, yes you guessed it, John Rutter!!

Hmmm - seems to me everyone likes the Cantique except me.....

Judging by Quebec radio stations, 'O Holy Night' isn't improved in French.

Watched a bit of the Pope's Mass from St. Peter's when we came in from Midnight Mass last night. Amazing how whenever the choir the sings unaccompanied, the organ goes sharp!

As said above, I do rather like 'O Holy Night' (sorry). We did it last night at Midnight Mass, and some people applauded (hmm).

And I spent two hours in the car earlier today listening to Classic FM (not the countdown, the programme just before) - thats what comes from a broken CD player and two radio presenters who were once on Pop Idol but now broadcast on a local radio station who insist on talking and not playing any music. It was requests, which meant I heard all sorts - but they did choose the Darke version of 'In the bleak midwinter' over the Holst which wins brownie points any day of the week.

http://www.classicfm.co.uk/christmas/carols/nations-favourite-carol/ is the link to this year's list.

Incidentally, John Rutter is now not just composer in residence to Christmas but also the BBC's musical adviser for it. There was a programme on BBC2 this afternoon - John Rutter's Musical Nativity, which didn't just contain Rutter items but they were in the majority.