Mander Organ Builders Forum

Observations on the New Format

Justadad

Would it be possible to remove the personal profile stuff from the left column?

It's OK for people to view that stuff if they want to go and look for it, but it's not necessary to put it in their face *and* make the boxes so big as a consequence.

J

I have to agree too. When certain people are posting it's going to limit the number of posts a page can hold.

One other thing: It's a great shame that the quote tags in the migrated posts have been lost. I guess it only affects the historical data, which will eventually recede into oblivion, but not being able to tell where a quote ends and the new post starts is unfortunate. I did edit one or two of mine, but then found that the snapback link had disappeared. :blink:

I hope this doesn't sound carping: I'm really grateful for the continuing support for this forum.

Guest Geoff McMahon

Thank you for the feedback.

"the banner shows that anti-aliasing and transparency do not a good mix make."

The look/colours of the upgraded Mander Organs forum have still to be customised. Last night my Internet access went down so I couldn't any more to it after the migration was completed, around 9.00pm. I have now dealt with the background to the "Mander Organs" logo.

"the quote tags in the migrated posts have been lost"

I'll ask the support people about that. I think the "post rebuild" should have put that right.

A couple of other things will be tidied up, when I have located the right files to edit.

Rachel

Wondering if the board is working - no new posts visible here for over 24 hours. And it doesn't seem possible to bookmark the discussion "front page" anymore (this may have been explained in the upgrade email in which case apologies). I don't mind the avatars and other poster info on the left; it's standard on some other boards.

Thanks to Manders for keeping this going.

I, too, have been wondering why no-one has been posting. It can't be that they don't know about the move; I'm sure everyone must have received the same e-mail as I did.

I have been able to bookmark the front page and, in fact, it still forms one of my 'tabs' in Firefox.

The poster info. on the left is OK so long as people don't write a complete tome about themselves!

Oh, so the forum is back up and running! Every time I've gone to it for the past few days the screen has said the forum is down temporarily for maintenance and will be back soon:

http://www.mander-organs.com/discussion/index.php

If everyone is still clicking that not realising the homepage has changed, a lot of people will be waiting a long time before starting to post again! Can the content of that address be changed to say, this is no longer the forum address, please change your bookmarks, or something?

Apart from that, just leaves me to say, a big personal thank you to Mr Mander for this wonderful forum and a very happy Christmas to you, all the organbuilders working for you, and all forum members!

I like the new look, and I'm sure we'll all get used to it. That said, I shall have to reduce the amount of material contained in my profile, which didn't matter previously.

My only concern is that people have vanished into the ether; hopefully to return.

It could be that people are gearing up for Christmas, and have too many things going on at the same time.

My personal target is to complete my story, "A Lancashire organ crawl" in time for Christmas, so I'd better shut up and get on with it.

MM

I wonder if the new url associated with the Forum might be made clearer here http://www.mander-organs.com/leader.html, which is the page arrived at from 'DISCUSSION' on the side-panel on the main Mander home Page? The 'current / ongoing discussion' link isn't (on my monitor, at least) terribly obvious.

It took me a little while to find things again, as I had 'tidied' up my emails!

Tony

I find it mildly offensive that Gender is seen as one of the few things we need to be shown about each other. If you've never filled it in, it doesn't show, but if you have you can't turn it off, only change it to displaying "Not Telling". I don't mind people being able to see my gender in my profile (it's obvious from my name anyway), but the in-your-face display seems inappropriate here.

Paul

Guest Voix Mystique

As a rule I really don't like change, rant and rage for a bit then get used to it and before long usually I've forgotten what the old one looks like! I'd agree that the fonts could do with being a tad smaller - but I shall reserve judgement until I've seen MusingMuso or some such making another of their enormous (yet always intriguing) posts.

Incidentally, a note to the moderator - I realise that my posts require moderator approval before they are shown, but could I please have an answer as to why even the most deliberately uncontroversial of them never appear, and why my PMs and emails to the moderator all go unanswered?

Guest Geoff McMahon

I like the new look, and I'm sure we'll all get used to it. That said, I shall have to reduce the amount of material contained in my profile, which didn't matter previously.

That bit has been turned off. So people can still write a book about themselves in their "Interests" :) and the forum won't try to display it all in the left-hand column.

Rachel

Guest Geoff McMahon

I find it mildly offensive that Gender is seen as one of the few things we need to be shown about each other. If you've never filled it in, it doesn't show, but if you have you can't turn it off, only change it to displaying "Not Telling".

But it can be turned off in the forum scripts, and I will do so when I am next logged into the "admin" side of things. It is just cluttering up space, anyway. Thank you for pointing it out.

Rachel

Guest Geoff McMahon

I wonder if the new url associated with the Forum might be made clearer here http://www.mander-or...com/leader.html, which is the page arrived at from 'DISCUSSION' on the side-panel on the main Mander home Page? The 'current / ongoing discussion' link isn't (on my monitor, at least) terribly obvious.

Yes, John Mander has asked that that be made clearer, too. Will do so ASAP.

Rachel

Guest Geoff McMahon
One other thing: It's a great shame that the quote tags in the migrated posts have been lost. I guess it only affects the historical data, which will eventually recede into oblivion, but not being able to tell where a quote ends and the new post starts is unfortunate. I did edit one or two of mine, but then found that the snapback link had disappeared. <_<

That has been fixed now (yesterday). The "post rebuild" didn't complete so has been re-run, and now the quotes display as intended.

Rachel

Guest Geoff McMahon
Incidentally, a note to the moderator - I realise that my posts require moderator approval before they are shown, but could I please have an answer as to why even the most deliberately uncontroversial of them never appear, and why my PMs and emails to the moderator all go unanswered?

Which address are you using - the "Rachel Mawhood" registration has been deleted because not needed. I wasn't aware that you had made any uncontroversial post recently that needed moderation. Also, if you can imagine, moderation has to be fitted in with other duties and responsibilities.

Rachel

Guest Voix Mystique

I did try to make the forum aware of Mander Organs' excellent work at the Sacred Heart, Wimbledon, and urging people to come and hear that magnificent instrument in one of the forthcoming recitals, but said post never appeared... I'm afraid I can't remember which address I used, but all now seems to be working. Thanks must go to you and Mr Mander for maintaining this forum - it's been most informative and amusing just to read.

Guest Geoff McMahon

Hello everyone - if you have forgotten your password because you had given it to your browser to remember - please don't complete the on-line form as if you were a new member - just e-mail me and ask me to reset it. (rachel@longitude0.co.uk)

The reason being that new requests for registration go from that form to John's PA, who (after filtering out the hundreds of spam attempts) forwards the genuine-looking requests to me. I log into the forum administration area and create a new membership - and have just done this with three who turned out to be existing members.

Thanks

Rachel

Webmaster, Mander Organs

Oh wow! I didn't know that. Many thanks. (I see that control minus will have the desired effect for those who find the font too large.) ;)

..and Control # transposes you up...!

A