Mander Organ Builders Forum

St George’s, Hanover Square

SlowOrg

Probably some of you would be interested to know about the progress in the installation of Richards, Fowkes Op. 18 in the Parish Church of St George, Hanover Square, London. Here you can take a look at some photos of the new organ being installed. Has anyone seen the instrument live already?

M

=========================

They're very well organised aren't they?

MM

=========================

They're very well organised aren't they?

MM

Is there a touch of irony in your question? Well, to me it doesn't seem much different from the way I know the situation with all the organ parts being brought into the church. For the most part it's always been a sort of an organised anarchy.

M

Is there a touch of irony in your question? Well, to me it doesn't seem much different from the way I know the situation with all the organ parts being brought into the church. For the most part it's always been a sort of an organised anarchy.

M

=======================

No irony intended!

I wasn'r thinking of the usual, "Left a bit! Right a bit! Watch the woodwork!"

That's always a kind of organised anarchy.

No, as someone who spends at least some of my time transporting things around, I am genuinely impressed. It's no easy matter to pack containers securely, which I would assume, travelled by container-vessel. (Heavy air-freight would be just too expensive, I would have thought).

Once packed, it has to be lifted off the truck at the docks, piled onto the ship, fastened down, taken across a big ocean, uplifted again at the docks, moved onto a container-truck, driven to London and, using exactly the right equipment, side-lifting it onto the street. The logistics of it are quite something, and not only involve a lot of paper-work, but careful attention to detail with such things as parking restrictions, special permits and even a special order to suspend street parking while the containers are dropped and unloaded at the church.

The easy part is actually moving the containers, which will be second-nature to the shipping and haulage people.

The last thing you need in this sort of situation, is for someone to unload the last box, and hear someone ask, "Where's the 32ft Open Wood?" :o

No, I'm quite impressed.

MM

Probably some of you would be interested to know about the progress in the installation of Richards, Fowkes Op. 18 in the Parish Church of St George, Hanover Square, London. Here you can take a look at some photos of the new organ being installed. Has anyone seen the instrument live already?

Thanks for posting, SlovOrg, I found the pics very interesting. Loved the empty stop jambs and labels. Not so keen on the array of square pistons.

Can you let us know if any more photos are posted?

TIA

• 8 months later...

I have a feeling this organ is now finished. Has anyone heard it? I would be very interested in what people think.

... a quote from the Richards & Fowkes website:

5 October 2012

After many months of detailed voicing our Opus 18 at St George's, Hanover Square, London is at last finished. The organ will be dedicated on Sunday, 14 October and James O’Donnell, Organist and Master of the Choristers of Westminster Abbey, will play the first concert on 18 October. This has been a complex project for us and we are extremely happy with the results and hope this organ will be part of the London church and music world for generations.

I, too, would be grateful for some first impressions from the "locals" ... :P

M

I have heard and played it, and think it is a resounding success. It sounds beautiful, and the touch is responsive and comfortable, for want of a better adjective. I look forward to attending the inaugural recital next Thursday evening. Apart from attending a service, another chance to hear it is provided by the RCO's London Organ Forum on Saturday 3 November http://www.rco.org.u...php?eventid=260