Mander Organ Builders Forum

New CD - Richard Hills at Southampton Guildhall released today

jazzboy

Dear All

Today the eagerly awaited CD of Richard Hills at the Southampton Guildhall Compton is released. This marks the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Guildhall, on 13th Feb 1937.

The title of the album is Grand Variety

International organ star Carlo Curley has very kindly undertaken the official review and has provided a glowing report of the new album.

More information, including how to purchase the CD and Carlo's review, can be found here:

www.ssfweb.co.uk/silverst/html/grand_variety.html

Thanks for your interest

Peter

(Producer)

Dear All

Today the eagerly awaited CD of Richard Hills at the Southampton Guildhall Compton is released. This marks the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Guildhall, on 13th Feb 1937.

The title of the album is Grand Variety

International organ star Carlo Curley has very kindly undertaken the official review and has provided a glowing report of the new album.

More information, including how to purchase the CD and Carlo's review, can be found here:

www.ssfweb.co.uk/silverst/html/grand_variety.html

Thanks for your interest

Peter

(Producer)

============================

Carlo does go on a bit doesn't he? Bless him!

I 'm glad that I originally said much the same thing using considerably less words.

MM

He has a wonderful way with words, both written and in the flesh, as it were, and I am very grateful indeed to Carlo for lending his support and praise to the album. For a long-standing professional and Internationally respected artist such as he to comment as he has done is, I feel, a great plug for the CD. I'm sure that those of you who purchase the CD or the HD downloads when they become available, will be just as pleased. Richard Hills has excelled himself on this recording and really shows what can be achieved with an organ that contains a fair amount of careful extension and with a large theatre organ. His orchestral transcriptions are superb and his classical performances inspiring, not to mention the lush theatrical registrations, impeccable rhythm playing and sheer excitement of this combination of great artist and great instrument. It was a joy to work with Richard on it, and to record this wonderful instrument that is now in so much better condition than it was.

Peter

He has a wonderful way with words, both written and in the flesh, as it were, and I am very grateful indeed to Carlo for lending his support and praise to the album. For a long-standing professional and Internationally respected artist such as he to comment as he has done is, I feel, a great plug for the CD. I'm sure that those of you who purchase the CD or the HD downloads when they become available, will be just as pleased. Richard Hills has excelled himself on this recording and really shows what can be achieved with an organ that contains a fair amount of careful extension and with a large theatre organ. His orchestral transcriptions are superb and his classical performances inspiring, not to mention the lush theatrical registrations, impeccable rhythm playing and sheer excitement of this combination of great artist and great instrument. It was a joy to work with Richard on it, and to record this wonderful instrument that is now in so much better condition than it was.

Peter

===========================

I think he likes to hear himself write.

Precogitations of mellifluous prose;

cause many a man their eyes to close.

Ten words, not one; the descriptive purple;

best cut by nine, for fear of urple.

MM

Mentioning Richard Hills, here's an absolute delight, as he takes to the piano, with the excellent Simon Gledhill playing a privately owned theatre organ somewhere in deepest Lincolnshire.

Richard is nothing of not versatile.

MM

Mentioning Richard Hills, here's an absolute delight, as he takes to the piano, with the excellent Simon Gledhill playing a privately owned theatre organ somewhere in deepest Lincolnshire.

Richard is nothing of not versatile.

MM

Great stuff! I've been thinking (for a change), might this be the Compton that the late Ted Crampton had a hand in getting up and running again? Sorry, should not have used the word running as I did not detect any.

Great stuff! I've been thinking (for a change), might this be the Compton that the late Ted Crampton had a hand in getting up and running again? Sorry, should not have used the word running as I did not detect any.

============================

I'm not sure about that, but I do know that the organ is that which is now in the home of David Shepherd, which I believe is a kit of various Compton parts.

I've never seen it....but there is a good reason why not. B)

MM

This is David Shepherd's private house Compton which is made up of several organ's components I believe, including ranks from Wimbledon Town Hall. The console is the ex-Paramount Tottenham Ct Rd one. The whole organ as now assembled is very good indeed.

Richard & Simon are indeed masters of versatility.