Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vivaldi Gloria Editions

Colin Harvey

Slightly off topic, but I hope I can stretch the scope of this forum to include Choral Music...

Which editions of Vivaldi's Gloria come recommended? I've used Ricordi, with the mistakes and disasterous keyboard reduction in the past - are there any better ones out there? We'll probably end up with a small band but we'll need a compatible decent vocal score with a reasonable keyboard reduction for rehearsals.

Slightly off topic, but I hope I can stretch the scope of this forum to include Choral Music...

Which editions of Vivaldi's Gloria come recommended? I've used Ricordi, with the mistakes and disasterous keyboard reduction in the past - are there any better ones out there? We'll probably end up with a small band but we'll need a compatible decent vocal score with a reasonable keyboard reduction for rehearsals.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the New Novello.

If you end up having to use the Ricordi with the chorus I can send you a list of the changes that need to be made for it to work with orchestral parts (including one complete replacement page).

I don't think there's anything wrong with the New Novello.

If you end up having to use the Ricordi with the chorus I can send you a list of the changes that need to be made for it to work with orchestral parts (including one complete replacement page).

I'd be grateful for a copy of that List, Stephen, if it's possible to email it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend the Kalmus, which is excellent.

To confuse matters over Ricordi, there is now a newer Ricordi edition, which outwardly looks identical to the old one, but which is a perfectly good edition which does not repeat the mistakes from the earlier edition. The "bad" edition is the one edited by Alfredo Casella, the "good" Ricordi is edited by Gian Francesco Malipiero.