Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hampton Court Palace - the chapel organ

pcnd5584

I note that this instrument is shortly to be restored and re-configured by Harrison & Harrison. Does anyone have any further details (the website has none, except for the announcement)?

In addition, the organ of Ripon Cathedral is also scheduled for alteration, including re-enclosure. Does anyone know what is happening to this section, please?

In addition, the organ of Ripon Cathedral is also scheduled for alteration, including re-enclosure. Does anyone know what is happening to this section, please?

As someone closely involved, perhaps I can clarify. The Ripon organ is simply to be cleaned and overhauled, with updating of the screen console and improvements to the wind distribution system. Only one tonal change is planned - the replacement of the Great Larigot (1972) by a Flûte Harmonique 8 in Lewis style and voicing. The Choir Cimbel III breaks will be re-arranged, but there are now no plans for re-enclosure. (The H&H website needs updating in this respect).

Work is expected to start after Easter 2013 and finish in November.

JS

• 3 months later...

I note that this instrument is shortly to be restored and re-configured by Harrison & Harrison. Does anyone have any further details (the website has none, except for the announcement)?

The transmission and key action are being replaced, and the wind supply to some pedal stops is being improved. Some rearrangement of the internal layout and minor tonal changes will also be made, including the removal of the electronic stops.

The transmission and key action are being replaced, and the wind supply to some pedal stops is being improved. Some rearrangement of the internal layout and minor tonal changes will also be made, including the removal of the electronic stops.

Thank you for this - although I believe that you were kind enough to reply previously by PM.

As someone closely involved, perhaps I can clarify. The Ripon organ is simply to be cleaned and overhauled, with updating of the screen console and improvements to the wind distribution system. Only one tonal change is planned - the replacement of the Great Larigot (1972) by a Flûte Harmonique 8 in Lewis style and voicing. The Choir Cimbel III breaks will be re-arranged, but there are now no plans for re-enclosure. (The H&H website needs updating in this respect).

Work is expected to start after Easter 2013 and finish in November.

JS

Thank you, John.

I had forgotten that I had already asked this question regarding the Ripon organ (and also that I had received a reply). This would make my new topic in another thread somewhat redundant....

• 11 months later...