Mander Organ Builders Forum

Angelic Voices at Salisbury

John Sayer

Top marks to the Beeb for such a warm and positive celebration of the English Cathedral tradition.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/tv/episode/b01f6tb8/

The programme struck a nice balance between seriousness and sentiment, allowing the young people to speak eloquently about something which means a great deal to them and which will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Instead of the usual dumbing down, we had lucid and intelligent contributions from distinguished musicians, academics and clergy alike: and a treat, too, to hear at least some whole (or nearly whole) pieces, even if the sound balance was a little adrift.

Good to feel the licence fee occasionally offers value for money.

JS

Fully endorse the comments above - an excellent programme which I may well revisit on the Sky+. As said, interesting interviews, a great look behind the scenes with David Halls coming across rather well, and it showed choristers (boy and girl) with real enthusiasm and joy for their music. It was good that we heard some live music as well, of varying styles and eras.

I would heartily recommend it to all contributors.

• 9 months later...

Top marks to the Beeb for such a warm and positive celebration of the English Cathedral tradition.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk...isode/b01f6tb8/

The programme struck a nice balance between seriousness and sentiment, allowing the young people to speak eloquently about something which means a great deal to them and which will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Instead of the usual dumbing down, we had lucid and intelligent contributions from distinguished musicians, academics and clergy alike: and a treat, too, to hear at least some whole (or nearly whole) pieces, even if the sound balance was a little adrift.

Good to feel the licence fee occasionally offers value for money.

JS

This very excellent programme was shown, again, last night. It was a lovely hour of viewing and I would agree with everything that John Sayer wrote way back on the 28th of March of last year. I would add that I thought David Halls, and the team at Salisbury, brought out the very best in the youngsters who, clearly, enjoyed producing excellence and were able to speak eloquently, with a healthy innocence, a sense of maturity and a consciousness of their place in the history in the job they had to do.

The programme was shown on BBC4 and, of course, is still available on the BBCi player.

Indeed, wonderful to see this programme again.

Indeed - I concur wholeheartedly with the views expressed here. It is refreshing to note that the programme presented an entirely positive aspect - I can think of nothing detrimental to say about it.

In any case, Salisbury have run a superb music department for many years, now. To have the occasional privilege of playing that wonderful organ (aside from the tierce mixtures, of course....) in that beautiful building for visiting choirs, is a truly magical experience.

And what confident, intelligent choristers they had.