Mander Organ Builders Forum

Easter Day

Philip

A very Happy Easter to one and all, including our generous hosts.

What did everyone give their congregations to send them on their way this morning?

Mine - the ubiquitous Widor (the first 8 bars were a bit dicey as my right hand went wandering in a way that it hasn't before - recovered after that!). Introit - This joyful Eastertide (arr. Ledger). Anthem - Glorious is thy name (Mozart). Mass of St Thomas as always. Pretty full church too - up from a normal 120-130 to around 200 - our church warden said he didn't know where they all came from! One year I'll crack the Final from Guilmant 1 - unfortunately not this year!

Tonight - Smith responses, Bairstow Psalm 114, Brewer in D and Blessed be the God and Father with Paraphrase on 'Judas Maccabeus' by Guilmant to send them on their way (unless I change my mind this afternoon).

Whatever you've done, I hope it felt suitably festive!

This morning was the Widor *Groan* and the boys sang This Joyful Eastertide (Ledger) and Now the Green Blade (Lindely) Pre service music was the Bach Allein Gott (BWV 662) and Demessieux 'O Filli' variations (a wonderful piece.)

This evening is Smith, Psalm 114 (Bairstow) Dyson in D, Blessed be the G+F, and Stanford in B Flat Te Deum. Prelude might be Howells Psalm Prelude Set 1, No.1 , but the postlude is definitely Incantation Pour un Jour Saint (Langlais)

The Tournemire 'Sortie' for the out voluntary. Starts on full organ, ends on full organ. ;) Anthem was Andrew Carter's 'Joy is Come' (to Personent Hodie). And we (just about) managed to accommodate the congregation despite the church catching fire a couple of months ago and putting the chancel out of bounds...

I seem to have joined King's College Chapel on TV and Winchester Cathedral @ Mattins this morning by playing Vierne's Final from Symphonie I. Clearly a select club...

The choir sang the Alleluia from Mozart's Exsultate Jubilate, This Joyful Eastertide (arr. Wood) and Now the Green Blade riseth... so all fairly standard stuff... but very enjoyable all the same! We did the Thorne Mass of St. Thomas for the first time today: Rather than a voluntary before the service, we had a congregational practice! It seemed to go well in the service - despite the parrallel 7ths in the Gloria (S &T on "only son of the Father"). We remedied this with a quick rewrite of the tenor part to stay on the B. Overall, I think it's an effective setting.

I did the FInal from Guilmant 1 last Easter - just practice it slowly, under complete control (I recommend use of a metronome for this one) and it'll come quite quickly.

Happy Easter to all.

6:00am (ya, really!): Merbecke, This joyful Eastertide arr. Wood, Widor Toccata.

9:15am (no choir): Bach/Vivaldi Concerto in A minor before, Boellmann Toccata after.

11:00am: Easter Anthems (chant by Thalben-Ball), Schubert Mass in G, Hallelujah Chorus, Willan's 'Rise up, my love, my fair one', Gigout's Grand Choeur Dialogue.

6;30pm: Drinkell Responses, Caustun's Service, Viadan's Exsultate justi, Willan's Prelude on 'Vulpius'

feeling slightly knackered.....

I seem to have joined King's College Chapel on TV and Winchester Cathedral @ Mattins this morning by playing Vierne's Final from Symphonie I. Clearly a select club...

The choir sang the Alleluia from Mozart's Exsultate Jubilate, This Joyful Eastertide (arr. Wood) and Now the Green Blade riseth... so all fairly standard stuff... but very enjoyable all the same! We did the Thorne Mass of St. Thomas for the first time today: Rather than a voluntary before the service, we had a congregational practice! It seemed to go well in the service - despite the parrallel 7ths in the Gloria (S &T on "only son of the Father"). We remedied this with a quick rewrite of the tenor part to stay on the B. Overall, I think it's an effective setting.

I did the FInal from Guilmant 1 last Easter - just practice it slowly, under complete control (I recommend use of a metronome for this one) and it'll come quite quickly.

Interestingly, over a post-Evensong drink our vicar was singing the praises of the St Thomas Mass as helping to boost the festive atmosphere of this morning's service (it always seems to have a really good feel to it), because it emphasies points in the liturgy which can seem a bit feeble otherwise (e.g. the Great Amen at the end of the Eucharistic Prayer). And that little Soprano descant in the Agnus does get the tingles going. I've yet to find a congregational setting as effective, and our lot sing it very well.

Thanks for the tip on Guilmant...I'm probably not patient enough with my practising - I just want to get through to the big fanfares at the end!

Final from Vierne 1 was also on the BBC TV broadcast from Coventry in the morning (played rather more slowly than usual perhaps) - I've skimmed through bits of the service but I thought they were unwisely trying to push the pace of the hymns (some of which were odd choices - 'Kingsfold' is a bit sombre for Easter morning, 'Ode to Joy' rather naff, and 'See what a morning' not really an organ/choir hymn). I've yet to catch up with the Kings broadcast - might manage that tomorrow morning!

On Saturday night I travelled to Peterborough Cathedral for their Vigil, Baptism, Confirmation and First Mass. Music from combined boys and girls was absolutely excellent - good psalms to start, then Vierne 'Messe Solennelle' and Widor 'Surrexit a mortuis' and again the Final from Vierne 1 to finish, with lots of improv work to cover the various gaps. A really good worship experience.

I only have a 1M+P 7 so they can't expect too much!

Me too - and they still do! Though it's being restored at the moment so we have to use a keyboard - I only use the 'piano' voice though - the organ one is foul. We did some Lully with a 'visiting Trumpet' after, the St Thomas Mass (as ever - I quite like it) and the Johnson-Manning Easter Anthem (what was that all about.... musically at any rate?) together with various rising green blades etc. at other points. The place was packed, the heating set at tropical but a good time was had by all nevertheless.

A

A very Happy Easter to one and all, including our generous hosts.

What did everyone give their congregations to send them on their way this morning?

Hi

Just the one Easter Day service. I played Noel Rawsthorne's "Postlude on Jesus Christ is Risen". It worked surprisingly well on our 5 stop + pedal pull downs organ.

Every Blessing

Tony

Final from Vierne 1 was also on the BBC TV broadcast from Coventry in the morning (played rather more slowly than usual perhaps) - I've skimmed through bits of the service but I thought they were unwisely trying to push the pace of the hymns (some of which were odd choices - 'Kingsfold' is a bit sombre for Easter morning, 'Ode to Joy' rather naff, and 'See what a morning' not really an organ/choir hymn). I've yet to catch up with the Kings broadcast - might manage that tomorrow morning!

I've just listened to the Coventry Service (parts of it, anyway) on the BBC i-player and for any fans of the H & H there there were some real treats. I liked the speed of the Vierne (what there was of it :wacko: ...); all too often it seems to be played too fast and loses clarity. [speaking as one who could never play it in a month of Easter Sundays].

I played the Rawsthorne arrangment of the Hallelujah Chorus, as usual.

Sounds like a good idea - 'had often thought of doing this - Christmas also. There are also early arrangements of such oratorio movements that work really well as organ pieces. Bits of Bach, Handel, The Heavens are Telling from Haydn etc. and either in the 'Town Hall' style or as something more concerto like.

A

'This Joyful Eastertide' (arr Wood) and Karg-Elert to exit.

Well-known stuff but matched with five great Easter hymns, it kept the pace going and 'twas as festive as Christmas.

Needed to keep something in reserve for two 4-hour theatre rehearsals Easter Monday (inter alia Queen, Skarbeck, Ll-Webber, Tchaikovsky and Take That!)

Interestingly, over a post-Evensong drink our vicar was singing the praises of the St Thomas Mass as helping to boost the festive atmosphere of this morning's service (it always seems to have a really good feel to it), because it emphasies points in the liturgy which can seem a bit feeble otherwise (e.g. the Great Amen at the end of the Eucharistic Prayer). And that little Soprano descant in the Agnus does get the tingles going. I've yet to find a congregational setting as effective, and our lot sing it very well.

Thanks for the tip on Guilmant...I'm probably not patient enough with my practising - I just want to get through to the big fanfares at the end!

On Saturday night I travelled to Peterborough Cathedral for their Vigil, Baptism, Confirmation and First Mass. Music from combined boys and girls was absolutely excellent - good psalms to start, then Vierne 'Messe Solennelle' and Widor 'Surrexit a mortuis' and again the Final from Vierne 1 to finish, with lots of improv work to cover the various gaps. A really good worship experience.

Thanks. Yes, I agree, I'm quite a fan of the Thorne - it works very well, I think. I like the Agnus Dei too - I tend to be a bit schmultzy and do the organ "echo" of the melody line on a solo stop. I am a bit mischevious and play the final solo echo down an octave on something like an Oboe or Cor Anglais with lots of subtle swell box use: it ends up sounding like something out of an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical... but it works very well.

The metronome mark in the Vierne Final is only mimim = 76, which is not fast at all. Quite a few people, especially younger players, tend to play it quite a bit quicker. I don't think it needs to go much, if any faster than Vierne's speed, even in the bone-dry acoustic at my church, but I accept it's pretty easy to speed up in this piece.

I hear good things about Peterborough these days. Fantastic building, fantastic organ - I remember singing there years ago and being impressed by the place.

Just to be a little different:

Easter Sunday (with the Anglicans)

Fleury's Prelude, Cantilene et Finale with the Cantilene pre service and the Finale after. Mass setting was Howell's Coll Reg. The organ at Trinity College, Melbourne, suits the French toccata style - it is easy to be overbearing given the Chapel's size and the voicing of the organ, so the final, long held high g''' then f''' worked. My wife enjoyed it, and that's all that matters!

Easter Vigil:

I played for an Extraordinary Mass (RC) and didn't get to play a note until we were 2' 10" into the Mass, with the whole Mass lasting 3' 30". Can any of the other board members better that? :blink: The only English spoken was for the Homily and the renewal of baptismal vows. Mass was chanted. Communion and Offertory were Frescobaldi and Postlude was Muffat's Toccata decima on a quaint little organ with one pedal stop and about 10 stops distributed over two manuals. One ivory detached itself when I went absolutely wild for the improvisation after the incipit of the Gloria :D

It was kind of relaxing watching the poor conductor who also was required to cantor a fair amount keeping the whole musical show on the road while I just waited for my little moments. It does make a change from my last 8 years.

I did enjoy the whole experience.

Easter Vigil:

I played for an Extraordinary Mass (RC) and didn't get to play a note until we were 2' 10" into the Mass, with the whole Mass lasting 3' 30". Can any of the other board....

Wow!! 3 minutes 30 seconds!! Must be the shortest Mass on record!! :lol: Barely enough time to swing a censer!! :D

Wow!! 3 minutes 30 seconds!! Must be the shortest Mass on record!! :lol: Barely enough time to swing a censer!! :D

Whoops. Indeed. Try 3 hours and 30 minutes. Enough time for several swings of the censer.

(Makes note to self about using correct symbols for time. Contemplates shooting himself with a banana, but realises it is not loaded and eats it instead. Does not fall in the water.)

Warwickians were treated to Chilcott's "Sun Dance" in the morning (during which the Boys, Girls and Men sang Mozart's Missa Brevis in F and the Hallelujah Chorus from "Handel" by Messiah) and in the evening came an even bigger treat - Rutter's "Variations on an Easter theme" (organ duet by myself and the DoM) at the end of Evensong that had included Smith's Responses, Stanford in C and Elgar's "Light of the world."