Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worth a good look...

Martin Cooke

Following up on my post regarding the Schubert Mass in G, I have ordered a score with 3 stave organ accompaniment from this company in Stuttgart - www.carus-verlag.com. Their website has an English (and French) translation option and once you've found the solo organ music section in search it seems to me that there is a host of interesting stuff that would repay a little examination. I'm sure it's ignorant of me, but I don't believe I have come across this publisher before.

Is it just me, or have our posts got a little bit dull lately? I'm so tired of seeing that "Leather or Talc" (or whatever it is) coming up on the discussion home screen every time I look. I think we all need to try a bit harder for a while to bring up a few new topics.

For example - I'd love to hear more about recitals and new organs that people have heard, new discoveries in terms of music, comments or articles in things like Choir and Organ, etc. Have we all just got too busy? Do let's try a bit harder!

There's a lot of good stuff at Carus-verlag. In particular I would recommend Contrapunctus 14 (the incomplete one) from Bach's Art of Fugue.

Zoltán Goncz has demonstrated that the 3 subjects in the known part follow a definite pattern, and the same pattern can be continued systematically in a way which includes the missing theme. While it is less exciting, for example, than the more free completion by Lionel Rogg, it can be argued that it is a logically more consistent completion than rival versions.

Ah yes, yet another convincing explanation of why the completion must be a certain way or a certain number of bars long. I like it, but I like some of the others as well (the explanations, as well as the music, that is).

Paul

Following up on my post regarding the Schubert Mass in G, I have ordered a score with 3 stave organ accompaniment from this company in Stuttgart - www.carus-verlag.com. Their website has an English (and French) translation option and once you've found the solo organ music section in search it seems to me that there is a host of interesting stuff that would repay a little examination. I'm sure it's ignorant of me, but I don't believe I have come across this publisher before.

Is it just me, or have our posts got a little bit dull lately? I'm so tired of seeing that "Leather or Talc" (or whatever it is) coming up on the discussion home screen every time I look. I think we all need to try a bit harder for a while to bring up a few new topics.

For example - I'd love to hear more about recitals and new organs that people have heard, new discoveries in terms of music, comments or articles in things like Choir and Organ, etc. Have we all just got too busy? Do let's try a bit harder!

I'd like to see much more in 'Nuts and Bolts'. I could contribute, but my contributions would be mostly questions!

========================

I couldn't agree more Martin, because things seem to have gone seriously downhill for whatever reason.

Perhaps it's something to do with "critical mass" and the fact that people who used to post no longer seem to do. However, there is also a seasonal factor in the form of school exams and holidays, which always sees a dramatic reduction in posts due to the pressures of teaching work, (for those who teach) and the fact that people elope for a while.

Still, I can never recall a time when nothing is posted for perhaps a week at a time, and questions remain unanswered.

As for interesting organs, there is a gentleman in the Halifax Organists' Association who is getting rid of a harmonium, but not any old harmonium. It is a FIVE manual harmonium dating from around 1880.....I'll have to check the details. I didn't know they ever made harmoniums larger than 3 manuals!

As for being busy, I am! I'm trying to get a new RC rite Mass setting finished.....what an awful rite it is to set to music. You know it's bad when the rhythms have to jump around like a flea just to accomodate the words, and that is a special challenge when it is a congregational setting. Then there's the central heating, and the decorating, and the ABS on the car, and the practice for a forthcoming recital in addition to normal work......busy is the word we're looking for, I think.

MM.

I much agree that this forum has lost much of its former vibrancy. Although unfortunately expelled some time ago (perhaps the moderators would have yet another serious rethink), I miss the highly informed and often thought provoking contributions from "Cynic" (Paul Derrett). I know he is sorely missed by others, too.

...........Is it just me, or have our posts got a little bit dull lately? I'm so tired of seeing that "Leather or Talc" (or whatever it is) coming up on the discussion home screen every time I look. I think we all need to try a bit harder for a while to bring up a few new topics.

I blame the rise (and hopefully the fall) of facebook which has encouraged us to only write "one liners". Twitter of course is worse so I'm told. Many of the people on here seem to also have facebook acounts where they can accept a telephone directory number of friends which they can't keep in contact with and rarely reply to their posts. There is an interesting article in the Saturday Telegraph today about facebook and how 8 out of 10 British profiles are false in some way and that 2/3 had written a status as a call for attention! None of that applies here.

Of course it could be that given some of the problems ex members on this valued site had, those left don't now wish to be controversial, although there is certainly a level of collective responsibility which has been exercised in the past by members.

I have recently had a salutory lesson in that something I had written in good faith quoting from a new book in order to show its scope and some of its content has been questioned. The author apparently has confused facts. I did not spot/know this so it has made me a bit reluctant to contribute to such an educated discussion board.

I blame the rise (and hopefully the fall) of facebook which has encouraged us to only write "one liners". Twitter of course is worse so I'm told. Many of the people on here seem to also have facebook acounts where they can accept a telephone directory number of friends which they can't keep in contact with and rarely reply to their posts. There is an interesting article in the Saturday Telegraph today about facebook and how 8 out of 10 British profiles are false in some way and that 2/3 had written a status as a call for attention! None of that applies here.

Of course it could be that given some of the problems ex members on this valued site had, those left don't now wish to be controversial, although there is certainly a level of collective responsibility which has been exercised in the past by members.

I have recently had a salutory lesson in that something I had written in good faith quoting from a new book in order to show its scope and some of its content has been questioned. The author apparently has confused facts. I did not spot/know this so it has made me a bit reluctant to contribute to such an educated discussion board.

===========================

Oh dear! You shouldn't worry about making mistakes or supplying misinformation when it the fault of someone else. We may be educated, but we're all very simple souls really.

I dread anyone asking me "Which Bach wrote that?"

I invraiably reply "I think it was the Hungarian one."

That gives them something to think about, and allows me to make my escape.

As for one liners, I heard a brilliant one recently.

"Why should I attend parenting classes? Snakes don't attend parenting classes, and the world's crawling with them!"

MM

Hi

I sympathise. I've found from my work on NPOR that published information is often unreliable for various reasons. That's who on NPOR we make sure - at least on recent & current entries - that we know where the info came from.

Every Blessing

Tony

I'm trying to get a new RC rite Mass setting finished.....what an awful rite it is to set to music. You know it's bad when the rhythms have to jump around like a flea just to accomodate the words, and that is a special challenge when it is a congregational setting.

When you've done it, I'd be interested to have a look at it, (if you'd be amenable to that!) - I've got to add another one to our repertoire sometime this year, and I'm not overwhelmed by the options I've seen so far.

Sorry, can't get the quote to work properly but, originally, I said this...

"Following up on my post regarding the Schubert Mass in G, I have ordered a score with 3 stave organ accompaniment from this company in Stuttgart - www.carus-verlag.com."

This has arrived today and is beautifully done - thoroughly recommended and very reasonable price.