Mander Organ Builders Forum

Noel Mander

Guest Geoff McMahon

Guest Geoff McMahon

Noel Mander, founder of Mander Organs and my father, would have been 100 years old today.

Looking back, it is remarkable how many things we now take for granted that were pioneered by Noel Mander. Three that come to mind are.....

- the sensitive but pragmatic approach to restoring old material, making sure that its re-use did not let down the final result

- that modern, well-engineered tracker action is now the preferred choice for new organs of moderate size

- the realisation that mechanical parts have a finite life and if worn out must be replaced. The mechanical reliability of the St Paul's Cathedral organ in the most trying climatic conditions is a great testament to his clear thinking in this area.

His influence has changed a huge amount, for the better, and his legacy will be with us for many years to come.

"Modern, well engineered tracker action is now the preferred choice for new organs of modest size."

Boxmoor? :)

Perhaps we dug our own grave on this one, because so many mechanical actions made between 1950 and now (not by Mander's), have been so extraordinarily bad.

I guess "preferred" does not mean "automatic". I don't know the reasons for the choice of action at Boxmoor but it would be a shame if the doings at Berkhamstead, just up the road, influenced the decision.

Incidentally, it is good to see the old Jesus College instrument find a very appreciative new home at Truro School.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-13544316

Incidentally, it is good to see the old Jesus College instrument find a very appreciative new home at Truro School.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rnwall-13544316

“The organ produces sound by driving pressurized air through pipes selected by the keyboard”

That’s the shortest definition yet, and a good one, in my opinion. All three constituents of the instrument in one sentence. The only point which is a little blurry is “at the keyboard” -- “console” or “playdesk” would have been more precise, but then, those terms are technical vocabulary already, as opposed to “keyboard”.

So, this notwithstanding: Wow.

"Incidentally, it is good to see the old Jesus College instrument find a very appreciative new home at Truro School"

With new action.

Presumably the original action had been worn out by a succession of organ scholars....

Was it replaced with a new mechanical action?

Presumably the original action had been worn out by a succession of organ scholars....

Was it replaced with a new mechanical action?

Yes - see p 29ff of OrganBuilding Vol 11. David Wood (who did the work) reports: "the action wasn't the lightest and the aluminium chassis and rollerboards rattled more than was acceptable" - "we have saved an important organ" - "there were examples of good work done [in the 1970s] and this is surely one of them".

Hi

I played the Jesus college organ briefly about 12 years ago, on a Cambridge Organists' Assoc visit. the aluminium action hadn't stood the test of time too well, and was pretty noisy then - everything else was still working well. I suppose that's the potential penalty for trying something that uses new materials for the application. I didn't notice the action being particularly heavy at that stage though. I'm a little sorry that the college didn't just have the action replaced - but they obviously had their reasons.

Every Blessing

Tony