Mander Organ Builders Forum

Redundant Norman and Beard Organ

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

The London County Asylum Hospital at Stone, Dartford, closed a few years ago and is going to be re-developed soon. There is a fine 3m Norman and Beard instrument available to anyone who can rescue it. It is in beautiful condition, nice casework and has really been looked after and appreciated. It falls under my remit as DOA, despite having been made redundant, and the current owners are trying to be extremely respectful to all fixtures and fittings of this large chapel. No wanton bulldozing here, just a desire to ensure that the organ goes to a good home. There is no power to the chapel now and it is not possible to try the organ - although power could be laid on; at cost, of course. Could any interested parties please get in touch with me in the first instance. I have a sheet with a photo of the console and also the stoplist. I will put you then in touch with the developers who will arrange access. I am trying to advertise the organ in various areas and also trying to ensure that it remains in this country if at all possible. While I have never heard the organ (the chapel closed before I was DOA), rumour has it that it is a fine instrument.

PM me for further information.

Paul Isom

Guest Hector5

Yes that's correct, the hospital went under a few names. The console is typical of N & B ones of the period - angled jambs etc.

Hi

The NPOR survey for the Kingsgate Davison does say "address or specification doubtful" - in other words either the survey or the editor was suspicious about the info actually refering to the correct building/organ. Normally there would be a note of what the problem was, but I can't see one on that survey.

Every Blessing

Tony

The two hospitals were completely separate and a few miles apart.

Stone House is on the eastern outskirts of Dartford (probably less than a mile from where I was born and brought up), and Bexley Hospital is on the fringe of Bexley, bordering Dartford Heath (a few hundred yards from my Dad's parental home).

As a teenager I deputised on several summer Sundays at Stone House, on the organ to which Hector5 refers (and am now wondering whether I ever took Vox Humana there....?)