Mander Organ Builders Forum

Somewhere else to spend your money!

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

I have just dicovered http://www.klasikart.com/ as a new outlet for my spending. Lots of organ CDs - Spanish-based, and many CD recordings of the Cavaille Coll and Stoltz Freres instruments in Spain (at only 10 Euros apiece!). There is also some music, some downloadable as PDF - and a fantastic value album of Spanish organ music from the past 100 years, mainly Romantic in flavour and really very nice indeed. This album has 500 pages and is selling for only 30 Euros which seems very good value to me. I've been investigating Spanish Romantic composeres recently and have just bought a pile of music by Eduardo Torres which is lovely. He was a contemporary of RVW and Vierne and it's nice lyrical stuff.

I've also been trawling the Italian music market front and have found some really fun stuff by Petrali - which is available from IMSLP. It's a little more thoughtful than da Bergamo, and generally requires a larger more comprehensive instrument - seemingly with a more uniform pedalboard, if the pedal part is anything to go by. There are some fine recordings of his music available very cheaply on iTunes.

In terms of the Rachel Laurin Twelve Short Pieces Op 43 - I've ordered a copy from Sheet Music Plus, and the total cost is a whole lot less than the quoted amount - about $30 all-in. There is also a very good Prelude and Fugue by the same composer which I have bought but have never learnt!

In terms of the Rachel Laurin Twelve Short Pieces Op 43 - I've ordered a copy from Sheet Music Plus, and the total cost is a whole lot less than the quoted amount - about $30 all-in. There is also a very good Prelude and Fugue by the same composer which I have bought but have never learnt!

Thanks for this tip, Hector5 and the ones that preceded the quote above. It's the second volume of Twelve Short Pieces Op53?? to which I think I saw the much larger price attached. When you get your copy of Op43, could we have a nice detailed report, please, of what they're like 'in the flesh' so to speak?