Mander Organ Builders Forum

Console music-desk lamp

wolsey

Although an increasing number of organs, virtual, digital or otherwise, can now be found in our living room or study, it is disappointing that the question of reasonably priced dedicated console music-desk lamps has not yet been addressed. There are some attractive examples available in the USA such as the Ektralamp or those in the UK sourced by Renatus - but at eye-watering three-figure prices; the cheapest contender, the Jahn Music Stand Light 54** series can only be bought for a sum of just over £100. Does anyone know of anything better priced?

It wouldn't work everywhere, but the best solution is to light the console from behind the player, with lamps arranged so that one cancels shadows cast by the other. (In my present situation, if someone turns out the Lady Chapel lights while i'm playing, there will be a row).

The subject of lights reminds me of when I first went to the Abbey at Erdington. The console was in an arch in a side chapel and lit from a light placed high up in the arch. The light was controlled from a switch on the opposite side of the church close to the exit to the sacristy and monastery. It was fairly common for me to practice until late into the evening with all the other church lights out.

The sacristan was a little brother, long since gone to his eternal reward, called Columba. He used to lurk around the monastery in the dark at all hours of the night. One night I was practising and finished around 10:00 pm. I switched the power off and made my way across the front of the Abbey which was just lit by the one light shining down towards the console. Through the door into the corridor where the light switches were, I switched the organ light off, someone had switched the sacristy lights off. I felt my way through the Sacristy into the Lower Sacristy – no lights there either! I was just about to enter the community enclosure when I bumped into something that moved – it was Brother Columba – before we knew it we were both on the floor!!! Eventually, after some wrestling, we realised what had happened and one of us found a light switch!

From then on he carried a personal alarm which, on several occasions, caused much hilarity amongst the community – and in church!! The story that the Organist and the Sacristan got into a fight was much exaggerated and laughed about in community circles.

Moral of story – make sure your console is well lit – but always carry a torch!!

In the absence of further information about competitively priced striplight-shaped console music lamps, a special-offer anglepoise from John Lewis has been bought. It looks good and does the job perfectly.

In the absence of further information about competitively priced striplight-shaped console music lamps, a special-offer anglepoise from John Lewis has been bought. It looks good and does the job perfectly.

I have a simple desk lamp over the top of my music stand at home, but it doesn't have a switch on the lamp unit, so what I have used which has proved very useful is one of those plugs intended for computers, that switch off all your printers etc when you shut down the main computer. I've plugged my lamp into this which is activated by turning the organ on or off - saves crawling around on the floor to find the plug every time! You can pick them up from electrical stores.

Steve

...what I have used which has proved very useful is one of those plugs intended for computers, that switch off all your printers etc when you shut down the main computer. I've plugged my lamp into this which is activated by turning the organ on or off

Thanks - this is new to me. Does it have a technical name?

Edit: it does - intelligent mains extension lead, e.g. automatic standby power saver socket by Watts Clever.

• 2 weeks later...

Ideally, we could do with two (one for each side of the console, since a mirror sits on the centre top of the console, encased in a small wooden stand). Previously, there were two unobtrusive spotlights (encased in black painted metal), which disappeared some years ago. Now the console is lit by one hideous fitting with an old-fashioned shade, which hangs from the apex of the arch above. God alone knows what possessed my previous colleague to replace the spotlamps with this absurd state of affairs.

Our pedal light (which is controlled by the blower switch) is simply a string of LEDs, encased in a transparent plastic sheath. Unobtrusive and practical.