Mander Organ Builders Forum

C.H. Kitson 'Communion On an Irish Air'

ross cobb

Does anyone know how I can get hold of this beautiful piece, as recorded by John Dexter at St Pat's Dublin by Guild many moons ago? Long haunted by it. Google bears no fruit for me thus far.

Cheers,

C-VV

Does anyone know how I can get hold of this beautiful piece, as recorded by John Dexter at St Pat's Dublin by Guild many moons ago? Long haunted by it. Google bears no fruit for me thus far.

Cheers,

C-VV

The Sheet Music Warehouse (here) has Three Voluntaries by Kitson but doesn't list what they are. Might be worth contacting them for further info. I have a mass of Victorian organ music - I won't promise to go through it all but will certainly keen my eye open when I'm next rummaging about.

Martin.

Try contacting Dr John Henderson at the RSCM or Richard Barnes of Cathedral Music (01243 379968). If anyone can help you one of them will. Both have incredible knowledge of their subject and access to enormous resources. Try Richard first and mention my name. Good luck.

Malcolm

According to John Henderson's Directory of Composers for Organ there is a "Communion" by Kitson published by Stainer & Bell in 1925 There's also "Six Choral Preludes on well known hymns" dated 1924 and published by S&B but the names of the tunes are not listed. Also Two preludes (Merton and St Columba) 1928 by S&B. There's a Prelude on the tune "Irish" 1925 (Cramer). There is nothing listed which corresponds exactly to the title you give.

Malcolm