Mander Organ Builders Forum

Carlo Curley RIP

wolsey

I have just seen posted on Facebook that Carlo Curley died this afternoon at 5pm. I am awaiting confirmation of this from another source, but the messages posted so far on FB seem to suggest that this is indeed true. I will post more if I have further information, and would be pleased if any anyone could post here if they have received confirmation from their own sources. The Facebook posting said "It is with great sadness that I must report that our dear friend Carlo Curley passed away about 5pm. He will be greatly missed by all who loved him and his amazing gift as a musician. Rest in peace Carlissimo"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have spoken to Barry Williams who has made enquiries and confirmed that this very sad and unexpected news is correct. Apparently Carlo died at his home in Melton Mowbray. RIP.

The news is also reported on Twitter by Organists' Review.

Malcolm

This is quite a personal blow, for I have not only enjoyed his recitals and happy banter, but spent time with him socially over dinner and at theatre organ concerts at the Gaumont State, Kilburn, in which he took great interest. The horrible thing is, that I was chastising myself for not attending one of his concerts over the past couple of years, and I had it in my diary to check out concert dates and make the effort to attend one somewhere. Sadly, it can now never happen and Carlo is gone.

It's far too early to take it all in, but I know I will miss his whoop and occasional bear-hug, not to mention his incomparable Bach Sinfonia.

Very, very sad and untimely. RIP my friend.

MM

Very sad news indeed - I only saw/heard him once, at St. Paul's Church in Cheam some years ago - I remember him most for the infectious and thoroughly approachable way he made himself avalable to the audience after the recital as well as the way he communicated his music-making to those present throughout the event and, by doing so,completely involving them in the music. Lots of smiles in the huge audience, but a wonderfully absorbing introduction to the instrument for many of those present.

May he rest in peace.

Tony

Hi

I too only heard him live once - when he played a concert for us in the Bradford Organists' Association centenary year. I was privileged on that occasion to "meet & greet" him at the cathedral, and to be around whilst he rehearsed. The cathedral was packed for the concert. He will be sadly missed. A great loss to the organ world.

Every Blessing

Tony

A very tough blow to all of the Organ community , I have enjoyed many of his fine recordings but sadly never got to see him perform live. I remember sending him an email years ago via the ask Carlo link on his website as a youngster first coming to the Organ. He responded rather promplty and took the time to send me a rather nice email full of encouragement, he seemed to nurture anyones interest in the king of Instruments. Carlo was a true Gent, a fine musician and an ambassador for the Organ.

Rest In peace, Carlo

LT

I know it's far too early, but I hope that we may open up a topic about our memories of Carlo. I'm sure he befriended and touched the hearts a lot of people, brought great joy, not a little comedy and a big hearted sincerity to all those whom he met.

He was not only a great ambassador for the organ, but a great ambassador for all that is best about America, when all we seem to hear about are the horror stories.

MM

I have just Googled its news section to see if any obituaries have appeared relating to the death of Carlo Curley, perhaps the world's most famous concert organist. Only Wikipeadia has updated its entry and I can't find a single obituary. Meanwhile, RIP Sid Waddell

Carlo Curley played at my church, Christ Church URC Port Sunlight, in 1987. He was demonstrating the Allen organ for Wirral organists. It was winter and he said that our church was the coldest church he had ever played in. We asked him to play our 4 manual Willis for comparison purposes but the Allen people would not permit this (probably quite wise in 1987!). He was wearing a multicoloured revolving bow tie that he was still wearing the following evening on the Terry Wogan Show on TV. He autographed a copy of his CD 'The Finest Hour' (recorded at Blenheim Palace on the Fther Willis) that I still have - it has suddenly become that bit more precious to me.

I have just Googled its news section to see if any obituaries have appeared relating to the death of Carlo Curley, perhaps the world's most famous concert organist. Only Wikipeadia has updated its entry and I can't find a single obituary. Meanwhile, RIP Sid Waddell

Yes. I too find it utterly astounding that there is no mention of Carlo's passing anywhere. He was considered a big enough personality to be featured on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs and probably known to at least as many people (if not more) than the darts commentator whose passing has been mentioned. Whatever can have happened for this oversight to have occurred?

I'm afraid it is symptomatic of the way that the organ and its players are regarded in the UK.

====================

I suspect the Olympics have something to do with it.....real time reporting and high pressure layout etc.

I hoipe that's the reason anyway.

MM

I was pleasantly surprised that my local paper, the Oxford Times, had an item on Carlo Curley's death. There was a reminiscence of his visiting Oxford to play the (then) new Rieger in the cathedral. It is recalled that he had difficulty getting up the spiral stairs to the organ loft; then he is quoted as saying: "I can't get a decent tune out of this goddam box of whistles"; and finally the writer recalls that when CC learnt that it was his birthday, he proceeded to improvise a set of variations on "Happy Birthday", to the annoyance of the starchy cathedral staff.

Paul