Mander Organ Builders Forum

Elgar Sonata article

David Stevens

Dear all,

I have a vague recollection of seeing an article written by David Sanger about the problems of performing certain awkward corners of Elgar's Sonata - it might have been published in Organist's Review. Does anyone have more specific information about where I might find this article, if it exists, or (even better) a copy that they might be able to share with me?

With thanks,

Dave Stevens

Dear all, I have a vague recollection of seeing an article written by David Sanger about the problems of performing certain awkward corners of Elgar's Sonata - it might have been published in Organist's Review. Does anyone have more specific information about where I might find this article, if it exists, or (even better) a copy that they might be able to share with me? With thanks, Dave Stevens

On a slightly different tack, there is, of course, the excellent DVD produced jointly by the Elgar Birthplace & St Chad's College, Durham, in which James Lancelot gives a masterclass on the Sonata, and suggests re-workings of one or two 'awkward corners'. The disk is also worth buying for the fascinating discussion on the genesis of the work by Prof Jeremy Dibble, Relf Clark, James L and others - not to mention a visit to H&H's works. For me it's probably the best organ-related DVD to have appeared for years.

JS

JS

On a slightly different tack, there is, of course, the excellent DVD produced jointly by the Elgar Birthplace & St Chad's College, Durham, in which James Lancelot gives a masterclass on the Sonata, and suggests re-workings of one or two 'awkward corners'. The disk is also worth buying for the fascinating discussion on the genesis of the work by Prof Jeremy Dibble, Relf Clark, James L and others - not to mention a visit to H&H's works. For me it's probably the best organ-related DVD to have appeared for years.

JS

JS

Any idea where once can get a copy of third DVD? A brief Google has failed to assist!

Any idea where once can get a copy of third DVD? A brief Google has failed to assist!

I seem to remember I got mine through Organists Review/Allegro Music. Durham Cathedral Choristers' Association seem to have it in their online shop at £20. The ref number is SCMA1001and you get an audio CD as well as the DVD..

See: www.durhamcathedralchoir.org.uk

JS

Dear all,

I have a vague recollection of seeing an article written by David Sanger about the problems of performing certain awkward corners of Elgar's Sonata - it might have been published in Organist's Review. Does anyone have more specific information about where I might find this article, if it exists, or (even better) a copy that they might be able to share with me?

With thanks,

Dave Stevens

The only article in Organists' Review in recent years was by Martyn Lane in May 2007, and that dealt with just the first movement of Elgar's Sonata in G.

CTT