Mander Organ Builders Forum

Alec Rowley and other thoughts

Martin Cooke

Does anyone play any music by this chap? He was most prolific, of course, but I am not sure if anything except the two Benedictuses - (ugh!) - survive. I do use a couple of chorale preludes - Crimond, comes to mind - and have recently downloaded the Heroic Suite from University of Rochester site. Among other extraordinary pieces on this site is a suite by R. S. Stoughton called 'In India.' If you're looking for something quite different. There is also 'Tales from Arabian Nights,' which includes a movement called 'Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves,' and another 'Persian suite.' Might provide from bank holiday amusement!

I play his Benedictus (presumably the first one, in E). Its lovely and wallowy!

I also picked up (second-hand I think) a CP on the tune to Rock of Ages which I rediscovered when I did a sort out of my music a little while ago. Fairly harmless, I will probably use it pre-service next Lent.

I also enjoy playing the (first?) Benedictus in E major. There's something very atmoshperic, satisfying and English cathedral about it . I first encountered it, played by Andrew Millington, on an old video I have about the work (and building( of Guildford cathedral made by their Friends, probably about 20 years ago now.

Malcolm