Mander Organ Builders Forum

palindromes

Guest Salamine

Guest Salamine

Anyone know any for the organ? I have a copy of Ronald Binge's 'vice Versa', actually a piano piece but aren't there other palindromic pieces - something by Bovet?. The Binge is clever but doesn't quite work harmonically here and there, fascinating nonetheless.

Chimes by Bernard Rose which under the title has "Ma fin est mon commencement, et mon commencement est ma fin."

It's no. 7 in The Hovingham Sketches published by Banks in 1982.

You can hear a performance of it by Francis Jackson recently posted on the General discussion forum of this board - at #1228 on the Youtube thread.

RAC

It's a vocal piece, but might well work on the organ if the performer knows the appropriate conventions: Guillaume de Machaut's "Ma fin est mon commencement".

The top two parts are the same, but one is the mirror image of the other. The third part is the same as the first, but at twice the speed and reversed from the middle. So it's a palindrome plus!

I recall Charpantier's L'Ange a la Trompette being described as palindromic

Looking at the score of L’Ange à la Trompette I can't see how it can be described as palindromic!

Chimes has 28 bars in 4/4, the notes at the first beat of bar 1 are the same as those at the 4th beat of bar 28, those at the 2nd beat of bar1 the same as those at the 3rd beat of bar 28 and so on,

until those at beats 1 to 4 of bar 14 match those at beats 4 to 1 of bar 15.

I would have liked to show here bars 13 to 16, which I have in several formats, but I have already spent too long trying to do this - I admit defeat. :wub:

RAC

The fourth Canon from the Art of Fugue runs back crosswise. Even Bach took two attempts to make that satisfying. One of the strangest pieces of music I ever heard. On the organ I like it best with (l. h.) Rankett 16, Rohrflöte 4, Waldflöte 2 + trem and (r. h.) a light jeu de tierce (minus the Quarte and perhaps the flûte). :wub:

Best,

Friedrich

Ah, no. That is certainly not palindromic. But you might try the 14 Goldberg canons, there must be something there.

Many thanks for that folks - I think i'll include all the pieces and call the recital Back to the Future......

...with a 'sortie-improvisee' on a theme of Huey Lewis and the News, perhaps?

Would be quite an interesting theme for a recital programme.

Glad to hear the Bernard Rose work mentioned - I find the Hovingham Sketches an invaluable collection - particularly the fine Epilogue by Howells which concludes the set.

VA

...with a 'sortie-improvisee' on a theme of Huey Lewis and the News, perhaps?

Glad to hear the Bernard Rose work mentioned - I find the Hovingham Sketches an invaluable collection - particularly the fine Epilogue by Howells which concludes the set.

VA

The Harold Darke and Eric Thiman pieces are good too. I never used to play this part of the repertoire but am liking it more as I get older!

A