Mander Organ Builders Forum

God Rest Ye Merry...

handsoff

The Christmas morning Eucharist at my church will be considerably enlivened this year when approximately 12.5% of the regular congregation will be joined in Holy Matrimony.

The couple have requested that I play "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" as the concluding voluntary (not intending that the congregation should sing along). I'm perfectly happy with this but wonder if anyone knows of a suitable piece using this tune that I could offer? *Two conditions, 1) it's not too hard because I'm rubbish and 2) suitable for the organ shown in my avatar which does have a pedal board, and 3) the tune is clearly audible. Thank you in advance.

* There are three types of people in this world; those that can do maths and those that can't.

There is a piece by Wilbur Held in Cramer's publication 'The Church Year' (which contains Chorale Prelude type pieces for all seasons). It is straightforward and if I recall marked ff throughout (which on your organ probably means pull everything out I'd guess!).

I don't know if it is published separately, or if there are any YouTube performances to view (I'm at work at the moment so can't access YT).

Thanks Philip, it is on YT and sounds just the job. I'll see about getting hold of a copy so that I have plenty of time to mug it up. The 8' Open, 4' Principal, 2' Piccolo + Larigot with faint and grumbly 16' Bourdon will do the trick nicely.

Your quick reply is much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

To add a footnote to this thread.

I bought and thoroughly learned the Wilbur Held without too much difficulty and launched into it after the Eucharist/Wedding yesterday morning. Bar 6 has a top D and the organ decided to cypher on that note at that point. Had it ever done it before? No. I carried on regardless but I'm sure that even the most musically unaware in the congregation/audience must have noticed something amiss. The last chord E Major with a slightly shrieking (Piccolo 2' + Larigot) D natural wasn't as bad as it would have been in other keys, I suppose... It took a lot of vigorous note-bashing to stop the cypher. I'll put a red sticky paper dot on the key until I can fix it/ get it fixed properly.