Mander Organ Builders Forum

Sir Philip Ledger CBE

wolsey

Sir Philip Ledger, sometime organist of Chelmsford Cathedral, Director of Music at King's College, Cambridge 1974-1982, and Principal of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music & Drama (now the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland), has died after a long battle with cancer. He was 74.

Sir Philip Ledger, sometime organist of Chelmsford Cathedral, Director of Music at King's College, Cambridge 1974-1982, and Principal of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music & Drama (now the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland), has died after a long battle with cancer. He was 74.

Only met him a couple of times - a real gent with an infectious love of music.

RIP Sir P

• 1 month later...

A memorial evensong for Sir Philip Ledger will be sung in King's College Chapel, Cambridge, on 2 March at 5.30 p.m.; and the annual Foundation Concert on 16 March at 5.30 p.m. will be dedicated to his memory.

On Friday 22 March, at 7.30 p.m., there will be a special concert in the Glasgow University Memorial Chapel. Tickets are free on the door; or phone 0141 332 5057; or visit www.rcs.ac.uk/boxoffice.

(Church Times obituary, 11 January, 2013).

A memorial evensong for Sir Philip Ledger will be sung in King's College Chapel, Cambridge, on 2 March at 5.30 p.m..

The programme for that service will be:

Introit I will lift up mine eyes: Ledger

Responses: Radcliffe

Psalm 130: Walford Davies

Magnificat and Nunc dimittis: Walmisley in d

Anthems Hymn to St Cecilia: Britten

The Risen Christ – O think of stepping ashore: Ledger

Hymn Requiem – Thanksgiving Hymn: Ledger

Organ Voluntary Symphonie V – Toccata: Widor

[

It ought to be recorded here that the Very Revd Michael Till, sometime Dean of Chapel, King's College, Cambridge, and formerly Dean of Winchester, gave a moving address at the funeral of his friend and colleague Sir Philip Ledger on 4 December, and having driven home to Sussex, he himself died.

It ought to be recorded here that the Very Revd Michael Till, sometime Dean of Chapel, King's College, Cambridge, and formerly Dean of Winchester, gave a moving address at the funeral of his friend and colleague Sir Philip Ledger on 4 December, and having driven home to Sussex, he himself died.

Thank you for that. Michael Till was Dean when I was an undergraduate. I didn't know that he had died.

May he rest in peace.