Mander Organ Builders Forum

Lanquetuit Toccata

Philip

I was having a listen to this last night - there's a couple of decent performances on YouTube - and wondered how approachable it might be for me to try in the New Year? It looks quite hard work, but I guess much of it is repeated patterns, so maybe not so difficult? I've checked but my local library don't appear to have it in stock, which is a shame as I don't particularly want to buy the score outright without knowing a bit more, especially when it costs £20+ for a single sheet!

Any recommendations welcomed...

The score costs £20.99 from Allegro Music. If the end of Messiaen's Dieu Parmi Nous or Mulet's Tu es petra are within your scope, then this Toccata will be approachable. It's arguably slightly easier than the two works mentioned, as the figuration remains consistent throughout the piece.

Thanks for the replies. I don't play either of the pieces wolsey mentions, and indeed have never tried or even thought to do so...maybe this says what it needs to say here?!! On the other hand, on several occasions I have bought a piece of music which has then been put straight in the cupboard, only to bring it out again 12-18 months later to find it much more approachable than I first thought, and what with prices rising maybe it could be argued that I should invest sooner rather than later?!

It is certainly an excellent piece though, I particularly enjoy the harmonies towards the end.

It's one of those pieces, of which there are a number, where I've found it helpful to learn it quite thoroughly - usually three bars at a time, moving forward by one bar at a time - and then put it away for about six months. When resurrected six months later it seems much easier and you can get it to a much higher standard of performance quite quickly. Perhaps that's just how my brain works but I find it helpful. I have to say I find Tu Es Petra easier but then I've been playing for about 40 years now.

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...