Mander Organ Builders Forum

Question about accessing NPOR on the move

Contrabombarde

I hope I'm treading on noone's toes by asking, but I hugely value the NPOR, not least for the ability to look up details of any organ spontaneously. But for some reason I can't do that when I most need to - namely when I'm out and about, visiting a new church perhaps - because the site doesn't seem to load properly on my Android (latest version jellybean) smartphone. I can get to http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/xnpor_search_keyword.shtml but it just comes up with a blank page other than the header National Pipe Organ Register. There's no search box in which to enter the building or address. Would anyone more technically minded than me be able to offer an explanation?

Hi

e-mail the NPOR office - I'm sure the question will get passed on to the software people. That said, I have managed to access NPOR on my very clunky "smart" phone - but the screen layout is not very good.

Incidentally, the correct url is www.npor.org.uk The server is temporarily back in Cambridge, but will probably move again before too long (from what I hear), at which point the emma.cam bit will cease to work,

Every Blessing

Tony

... The server is temporarily back in Cambridge, but will probably move again before too long (from what I hear), at which point the emma.cam bit will cease to work,...Tony

That is interesting Tony as the NPOR announcement (below) makes no mention of the temporary nature of the move.

"The NPOR returns to Cambridge (January 2013)

BIOS are very grateful to the RCM for hosting the NPOR service since December 2008. It had been hoped that BIOS and the RCM would develop the NPOR jointly and that it would play a part in the learning resources of the RCM but this has not happened. The NPOR service will therefore return to Emmanuel College Cambridge in January 2013."

PJW

I had this problem too a few weeks back. In fact it is still present with jelly bean; it came down to the android browser used. If you use Firefox or Chrome you may find NPOR displays OK.

Best wishes

David

Many thanks David, indeed my problem was solved doing just that. I thought my Android phone worked fine until Jelly bean came along, why do they have to cokplicate things? But NPOR works like a charm on the (Android) version of Firefox.