Mander Organ Builders Forum

Happy Easter

Philip

I trust all correspondents have had a good Holy Week, and wish you all the best for the big day tomorrow.

What are people playing for Easter voluntaries this year then?

Mine:

Tonight - Vigil & First Mass: Vierne - Carillon de Westminster (we normally do this at dawn on Easter Day, but a combination of declining attendances and moving clocks have inspired a change of routine - fingers crossed it works and people turn out for it!)

Sunday morning: Cocker - Tuba Tune

Evensong: Harris - Fantasy on 'Easter Hymn' (with Brewer in D and the Stanford Jubilate in B flat)

Well, St. Michael's parish (the local High Church shack) are doing the Vigil. They're building a new church building and borrowing various others in the meantime. I've just been down to show their organist how to play a pipe-organ.....

Tomorrow:

6:00am Choral Eucharist (My God!!!) BCP. Nothing on music list but we might do the Byrd 4-part Mass if we stay awake long enough. Probably the Widor at the end (can do it while asleep). Champagne breakfast at choir member's house afterward, from which I have to extricate myself to play for:

9:15 Sung Eucharist (modern service, Book of Alternative Services, know colloquially as the BAS or the Bloody Awful Service Book). No choir, just hymns, a simple congregational setting, Langlais Incantation pour un jour saint.

11:00 Choral Eucharist BCP: Vaughan Williams in G minor, Easter Anthems (Thalben Ball chant), Hallelujah Chorus, Vaughan Williams' "Easter"(Rise, heart, thy Lord is risen), Gigout Grand Choeur Dialogue.

6.30: Choral Evensong BCP: Easy but jolly stuff, Responses Me in G, Bairstow in E flat (first performance in Newfoundland), Thatcher, Come ye faithful, Marche aux Flambeaux by Scotson Clarke (Whoo-hoo!).

Happy Easter, all!

09.00 Eucharist - before the service: Dupré, Résurrection from the Symphonie-Passion and afterwards, Tuba Tune by Cocker.

Only kidding. What actually happened was I thought that my music case was in the car (I can't leave music in the church as it gets damp) but it wasn't. I ended up playing a bit of an improv on Salve Festa Dies before and the tune for "See How the Conquering Hero" afterwards. That went down very well and it's not very often that one gets the congregation singing along with the voluntary. Words and all!

5.30 - Salisbury Cathedral for bonfire, service of light & confirmation of Goddaughter followed by champagne and marvellous breakfast. Timothy Hone at the Fr. Willis with a chunk of Simon Preston's Alleluyas as the first fanfare and Final from Vierne I to end - all very tasteful apart from one rather dodgy new hymn.

10.00 - PC at church with trimmings including Greater Love - Ireland which I conducted and the Rector played for due to L. elbow problems. To end - Paean by Nicholas Edwards which sounded good despite elbow problems and not as tricky as bits of GL.

Elder daughter in tow for both to page turn in the latter - fell asleep at one point in the PC - but had been on the go since 4.00!

A

Happy Easter! I'm spending the morning in bed! :)

Gah....

Four services - the first at 08h00*. I got up at what was effectively 05h30.

The choral music included:

Choral Mass: Schubert, in G (a late change, on Thursday night - it was supposed to be Mozart's Coronation Mass, with a small instrumental ensemble, including the organ. However, the orchestra were unavailable, for some reason.)

Greater love - Ireland.

Choral Mattins:Sanders responses, Easter Anthem, psalms 114, 117, Te Deum and Jubilate to the settings in B-flat, by Stanford, Ye choirs of New Jerusalem - Stanford.

Festal Evensong: Sanders responses, Psalm 135, Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis to the settings in D, by Dyson. Blessed be the God and Father - S.S. Wesley.

Voluntaries: after the Mass, I improvised a brief toccata on Orientis partibus. (This was for two reasons; firstly, my teaching term did not finish until Thursday early evening and secondly, the Mass had over-run. so that it finished at about the time that Choral Mattins was supposed to start.)

My colleague played after Mattins - I am not sure what - probably some Bach, since the choir and one organist get to leave after the anthem and before the sermon. I take turns with my colleague to enjoy this privilege.

After Evensong, I played Bach's 'Trinity' Fugue, in E-flat major (BWV 552).

* On Christmas Day and Easter Sunday, the 08h00 Mass congregation get two hymns and some voluntaries. This year, the local organist who usually plays, was unable to do so.

Gah....

Four services - the first at 08h00*. I got up at what was effectively 05h30.

At least, like other posters here, you had music to make it worthwhile. I effectively gave up regular church music a quarter of a century ago. I foolishly went back to it for a couple of years for pecuniary reasons, but a new priest soon made sure that it became musically pointless and I left at the end of January. The choir, poor things, seem as dispirited as ever and speak cryptically about "Carry On Up the Vestry". Never again.

I had to get up at five in the morning to do the 6:00am service. I don't put music on the list for this one, but most of the choir were able to make it and we did the Byrd Mass for Four Voices. Vaughan Williams in G minor at 11:00 went very well, possibly because of the champagne breakfast in between (I had to dodge out early and play for the 9:15 congregational eucharist). i'm the only one on the staff who absolutely has to be at the 6:00am and 6:30pm services - the clergy can share them out between them - but the Dean made a point of turning up at 6:30 and saying how wonderful the music had been.

More partying afterwards. We are a sociable lot in the Anglican Church of Canada.

I never stop thinking how lucky I am - a beautiful building, a four-manual organ that seems to like the way I play, a keen choir, the Book of Common Prayer and a Dean who thinks the music is marvellous and keeps saying so.

Got up late today(!) Sun splitting the trees, although we had snow over the week-end. Newfoundland is a nice place to be....

Well, our Vigil Mass seemed to go down very well, having the readings first seemed to build a real sense of drama to the Easter Proclamation. The Vierne was possibly my best rendition yet and received several complements. Turnout was about 50, which was on a par with Maundy Thursday and Good Friday (both of which were less than in previous years) and not at all bad for a change of routine. Glasses of sparkling afterwards - initial indications are that we'll keep to Saturday night next year.

Sunday still felt like a long day, but was certainly more bearable without the early start. Before the 10am I played Philip Moore's 'Variations on Noel Nouvelet' from the new OUP album which I rather like. Decent turnout if less than last year. Big lunch chez two choir members, and several glasses of wine later, we were back for Evensong; the choral stuff was OK but I'm not sure what William Harris would have made of my rather tired rendition of his piece! Then to the pub where 7 of us made our way through 8 bottles of red wine...

I can talk self-deprecatingly about the hard work of this weekend, but I'm paid for it and the real stars are the choir who voluntarily turned out six times from Thursday to Sunday (we had a wedding on Holy Saturday and they wanted the choir - don't ask!). The fact that they do so year after year speaks volumes for what a good weekend it is, musically and liturgically.

... I can talk self-deprecatingly about the hard work of this weekend, but I'm paid for it and the real stars are the choir who voluntarily turned out six times from Thursday to Sunday (we had a wedding on Holy Saturday and they wanted the choir - don't ask!). The fact that they do so year after year speaks volumes for what a good weekend it is, musically and liturgically.

This is true.

For the record, my colleague had it worse than I did, since he volunteered to play for the 06h00 service, which meant getting up at about 04h30.

I would also have to say that our choir is a dedicated, enthusiastic group. The men (and the kids) also attended six times between the Mass on Maundy Thursday evening and Evensong on Sunday. (We sing the Litany on Good Friday morning at 09h00, then decamp - minus the front rows - to the 'choir' pub, which opens just for us. There, a full English breakfast awaits us (with kedgeree for my colleague), and we spend a pleasant hour or so stuffing ourselves.)

To be honest, Vox is right; I may have been exhausted by Sunday evening, but I would not have missed it for all the tea, etc, etc.... The choir were splendid, the Minster was full. Even the chamades were just about in tune and useable.

We are very fortunate to have such a good, loyal choir. A high point was arriving quietly at the back of the Minster, shortly before 09h55, on Good Friday morning. I sat down just in time to hear them sing Lotti's Crucifixus from the Baptistry (under the West Tower - one of the few places with some 'bloom' to the acoustics). It was magic - actually, beautiful and very moving. They finished the last chord just as the bell struck the hour.

Fortunately we have a rector who is very supportive of the music and who recognises its value in worship.

I therefore deem myself almost* as lucky as David Drinkell.

* As yet, I do not have that fourth clavier to play with....

Grace Cathedral, San Francisco (with the visiting choir of men and boys from New College, Oxford) on Easter Day.

Standing room only, and not much of that.

r600x600.jpg

Stunning - and heart-warming.

Thank you, Barry.