Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Practice in Bradford area

innate

Dear forum members,

If my request is not appropriate for this forum please forgive me.

I am in Bradford for a few days with a free day tomorrow and would love to do some serious organ practice. If anyone can help me get access to a functioning pipe organ during the day in the Bradford area I would be very grateful. I am happy to make the appropriate contribution to church funds or whatever.

Either reply here or email me on:

innateATSIGNme.com

Many thanks,

Michael

Hi

Not a great choice within the city. You could try the Cathedral (4m HNB), St Joseph's RC (new Scrabl - or maybe a rebuild of the previous instrument - I've not got there yet), St Barnabas, Heaton (2m) - I would say come here, but I doubt our 1m GG-compass chamber organ is suitable for serious practice.

Going a bit further afield, Bingley Parish Church was OK, but again, I've not been there for some while. There are a couple of reasonable organs in Ilkley.

You could do worse than contact the secretary of the Bradford Organists' Assoc.

Every Blessing

Tony

(Minister, Heaton Baptist Church, Bradford - and currently Vice-President of BOA - 20th of this month!)

Hi

Not a great choice within the city. ..................................... St Joseph's RC (new Scrabl - or maybe a rebuild of the previous instrument - I've not got there yet),

Rev. Tony.

Isn't the new Scrabi in St. Patrick's in Huddersfield? I always thought the instrument in St. Joseph's Bradford was the instrument built originally by Hopkins or York for South Lane Methodist church in Hessle - and transferred and rebuilt in St. Joseph's in the 1970's. It was the first instrument I ever played, when it was in Hessle, and I always hoped to make a 'pilgrimage' to Bradford to see it again at some time! I'd be sorry if the instrument had been replaced.

Hi Tony,

I have noticed St Barnabus Heaton is not listed on NPOR any chance of adding it?

Best wishes

Barrie

Hi Barrie

Yes, it is on - you spleed Barnabas incorrectly! The current itteration of the organ is http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N07179. St Barnabas is our local parish church, and I've played there a few times.

I do have some further historic info to add to the series of surveys when I find time!

Every Blessing

Tony

Rev. Tony.

Isn't the new Scrabi in St. Patrick's in Huddersfield? I always thought the instrument in St. Joseph's Bradford was the instrument built originally by Hopkins or York for South Lane Methodist church in Hessle - and transferred and rebuilt in St. Joseph's in the 1970's. It was the first instrument I ever played, when it was in Hessle, and I always hoped to make a 'pilgrimage' to Bradford to see it again at some time! I'd be sorry if the instrument had been replaced.

Hi

I know of the Huddersfield Scrabl - that's been in a few years. St Joseph's is newer - last year (we had to move a BOA recital because it wasn't finished in time). Not had opportunity to visit yet, and I'm not sure if it's a rebuild or all new. BOA have had a couple of meetings at St Jospeh's, so I played the previous organ a ouple of times.

every Blessing

Tony

Hi

I know of the Huddersfield Scrabl - that's been in a few years. St Joseph's is newer - last year (we had to move a BOA recital because it wasn't finished in time). Not had opportunity to visit yet, and I'm not sure if it's a rebuild or all new. BOA have had a couple of meetings at St Jospeh's, so I played the previous organ a ouple of times.

every Blessing

Tony

I looked on the Skrabi website. They have built a one manual chamber organ (Opus 266) for St. Joseph's Bradford but there is no new instrument for St. Joseph's Bradford although Skrabi do seem to have done some work in 2012 on the two manual Hopkins that, as I said in my original post, came from South Lane Methodist church in Hessle!

It would be interesting, from my point of view, to know what they have done to it, the specification remains exactly the same, so, presumably it is some internal work!

NPOR says nothing about Skrabi's involvement either in the new Chamber organ or the Hopkins rebuild.

Thank you for the suggestions, Tony. In the end a combination of poor internet access and feeling under the weather meant I limited my preparation to silent study of the scores.

NPOR says nothing about Skrabi's involvement either in the new Chamber organ or the Hopkins rebuild.

Hi

That's because a) we haven't been told about the chamber organ; and (B) the work on the main organ hasn't reached the top of the pile yet (or again, we've not been told!). The Hopkins organ I found a good instrument, so hopefully it hasn't been changed too much.

Every Blessing

Tony