Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bach BWV 578

handsoff

I have just started re-learning this after some 35 years, although judging by my first run through it yesterday the previous work has long gone from my muscle memory!

Just out of curiousity, what examination grade would this piece fit into these days? I seem to remember that it was 5ish.

Thank you.

Edit. I like this idea on YouTube...

It was one of the List A pieces for Associated Board grade 7 in the late 1980s; I learnt this piece whan I took that exam in 1987.

Not sure what grade it would be considered to be nowadays, though I'd think that grade 7 seems about right.

Thanks very much Nick. That has made me feel better about my efforts! I remember that the semiquaver pedal bits towards the end gave me the most trouble and no doubt will do so again. It's worse now because I have possibly the rattliest pedal board in the world which is mildly distracting to say the least.

After a couple of hours practice today, just one (possibly rhetorical) question. Is it acceptable to omit the pedal trill based on D? My pedalboard is so damned noisy I could barely hear the pipes speaking! :unsure: