Mander Organ Builders Forum

60th Coronation serive for the Queen Westminster Abbey

Enjoyed the service from the Abbey for HMS the Queen. However, could not help but have a chuckle over the zealous congregation in singing Ralph Vaughan Williams arrangement of all people that earth do dwell. Most of them came in on the second part of the introduction given by the organist which was unfortunate.

I'd hazard a guess that we've all had this on one occasion or other. I always ask for a discreet note to be placed in the order of service. I believe that RVW complained that, at the Coronation Service, a number of somewhat pig-headed nobles attempted to observe pauses at the end of each line.

Enjoyed the service from the Abbey for HMS the Queen. However, could not help but have a chuckle over the zealous congregation in singing Ralph Vaughan Williams arrangement of all people that earth do dwell. Most of them came in on the second part of the introduction given by the organist which was unfortunate.

It often happens - and, as noted by Paul Morley, a discreet note in the Order of Service always helps (there was no note in today's particular Order of Service). I remember well this happening years ago, one Maundy Thursday when the Queen was giving out the Maundy at Ripon. The congregation very loudly and heartily began singing 'All people.... ' during the organ introduction! I can't remember exactly what happened after that! And yes, Vaughan Williams complained bitterly about the peers observing pauses at the end of each line at the coronation!

I thought the music today was, as always on these occasions, absolutely stunning!

Interesting also - back then - 'I WAS GLED', today - I WAS GLAD!

I caught a short piece on the radio today contrasting Her Majesty's pronunciation then and now: "heppih" versus "happy". Received pronunciation in the 50s did faour the former. And of course it is well known that David Willcocks's choir at King's used to sing e.g. "Elleluia" and "End our mouth shall shew forth..."

Another state occasion staged with a disappointing lack of girls in the choirstalls.

Did the D of E just stifle a yawn during the A of C's adress?!

In not aware that there are any girls in the choir of Westminster Abbey. Why is that "Disappointing"?

David Wyld

I suppose it's probably the Royal 'parish church' and perhaps the cameras etc are in position permanently, but occasionally it would be a refreshing change to have a celebratory occasion at a place that had a choir with girls in it, or even a girls' choir.

This detail obviously is well down the list of things to be taken into account.

It disappoints me for one, that the numerous choir schools with girls are rarely used at these events. They may feature on radio broadcasts but I've yet to see them feature on a large televised event. Maybe it has happened and I blinked and missed it.