Mander Organ Builders Forum

Richard Hills - RAH light organ prom, Monday 26th Aug

jazzboy

Just a note to all as a reminder that the wonderfully talented Richard Hills is appearing in his own solo prom concert tomorrow at 4.30pm at the Royal Albert Hall on the wonderful Willis/Harrison/Mander organ.

This will be a superb event from one of the world's finest and most versatile performers, on one of the world's finest instruments. Richard will be exploring the lighter side of music arranged for the organ, and really giving a flavour of the versatility that can be achieved on the King of Instruments.

Equally at home on theatre organ, church or concert instrument, Richard is one of the country's shining lights in the organ world and an amazingly gifted musician.

His pivotal and Internationally acclaimed CD, Grand Variety, recorded on the huge and outstanding Compton at Southampton Guildhall, is still available to purchase via Silver Street Music website - www.silverst.co.uk

I hope the turnout on Monday at RAH is very good - it certainly should be!

Peter

I thoroughly enjoyed this prom concert; as did Mrs Handsoff who normally squeals and runs away when "that organ music" is mentioned.

Unlike previous years' organ proms by "celebrity players" the music was superbly performed, well-chosen and demonstrated the huge range and tonal variety of this shockingly under-used instrument. Tiger Rag, the encore, was beyond words.

The only sad part is the BBC's token use of the solo instrument in this year's proms programme. Roger Wright appears to be the worst thing ever to have happened to R3, with programmes filled with exhortations to email, text and twitter apart from his own evident dislike of and disdain for our instrument. "What do mean there's no organ music on R3 - there was a recital from Lincoln only this year".

[sorry if this clipped review reads like a Choral Evensong write-up on the Radio 3 forum but foccacia dough proving in the kitchen waits for no man...].

I've just been listening to this on BBC iPlayer. Excellent. The instrument (and player, of course) sounded wonderful and the hall did not seem as 'dead' as I expected it to be.

In fact, I enjoyed the recital so much that I wondered whether I could possibly record it. As I'm sure you all know, the BBC doesn't like people to record its iPlayer music, and I think this is reflected in the lack of provision of any certain way of getting around it, or at least I wasn't able to find any on the internet.

But then, where there's a will there's a way. I just plugged my minidisc player/recorder into the headphone socket of my laptop and it recorded beautifully. Sometimes the simplest ways are the best!

Another way to record anything that uses one's computer soundcard is Total Recorder, which can be downloaded from...

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

A one-off fee is payable which avoids a "beep" being introduced into the recording as is used on the demo version. It's an excellent tool which is very handy for saving, editing and using to burn CDs from any source - obviously subject to strict observance of copyright. :ph34r:

Another way to record anything that uses one's computer soundcard is Total Recorder, which can be downloaded from...

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

A one-off fee is payable

Eighteen dollars! That's nearly TWELVE WHOLE ENGLISH POUNDS! :o

But thanks anyway. :)