Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fernando Germani

AJJ

I know of Germani's Toccata for organ but recently came across an organ arrangement of a piece apparently by him called Cantata per Venezia which seems also to have various other manifestations - guitars etc. There is an interesting video of Germani playing the piece on an electronic (complete with perspex organ bench! ) plus 'light' orchestral 'backing' but I am curious to know more about the piece. It is fairly insubstantial - rather like a lesser Albinoni Adagio and I was even wondering whether FG was trying to cultivate a more 'popular' image perhaps with what looks like a prime time TV slot. Some references also describe the piece as being by Fabio Germani - are they one and the same?

A

I knew the answer would arrive quickly using the 'grapevine'! Apparently Fabio Germani was/is Fernando Germani's son and the piece was composed by him around 1970 for a competition of 'pop' music involving the record company RCA. Fernando later recorded his son's piece in an organ and strings version for the TV show on the clip above - a rare view of FG playing and in rather uncharacteristic mode maybe.

All info. thanks to Stefano Bertuletti in Italy!

A