Mander Organ Builders Forum

RIP Sir John Tavener

DaveHarries

Guest Geoff McMahon

I only know of Innocence which has a significant organ accompaniment. His music may not have been accessible to all, but I think he is one of the most significant composers of the 20th and 21st century, steeped in spirituality.

John

Totally agree with #3.

I remember being blown away by “The Whale”, in the late 60s; but there is so much significant liturgical (and similar) music, of great import and depth.

We all know “The Lamb”, but his “Away In A Manger” was commissioned by King’s in 2005 and available, not on their double CD of such carols, but on a solo Tavener album.

For the only organ piece (“Mandelion”) of which I’m aware, see discussion at: http://mander-organs-forum.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/2388-mandelion-john-tavener/

I only know of Innocence which has a significant organ accompaniment. His music may not have been accessible to all, but I think he is one of the most significant composers of the 20th and 21st century, steeped in spirituality.

John

Angels has a very clever and effective organ accompaniment. We used to do it at Belfast Cathedral, where the huge acoustic suited it perfectly. I believe that we introduced a number of Tavener pieces to Ireland, including Song for Athene, Funeral Ikos and Love bade me welcome.

And, in eery coincidence, today’s Choral Evensong, from Christ Church, Oxford, had Sir John’s Nunc dimittis already on the Music List.

Radio 3, as could be expected, have done his music proud today, with several pieces and excerpts that I’ve heard- befitting his status as one of the UK’s major (mainly) 20th century composers.

I remember an anthem by John Tavener but can't remember the title or any of the text. I think it has two parts with a constant interval between them for most of the earlier section with no accompaniment. This is followed by a loud chord on the organ. The anthem then takes a different musical style. No searching on Youtube has helped me find it. Can anyone tell me what it is? I'm sure it was by Tavener.

John R

I remember an anthem by John Tavener but can't remember the title or any of the text. I think it has two parts with a constant interval between them for most of the earlier section with no accompaniment. This is followed by a loud chord on the organ. The anthem then takes a different musical style. No searching on Youtube has helped me find it. Can anyone tell me what it is? I'm sure it was by Tavener.

That should be “God is with us”, as recorded at the inauguration o the then-new Klais in Birmingham Symphony Hall.

Best,

Friedrich

What I had missed (re my #6, and all were far too polite to point out), was that the introit had been changed, in tribute to Sir John- it was now his The Lamb.

There is a fine performance (of course) of Tavener’s God Is With Us here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9haxjywIDVQ .

This is one of those pieces that transcend ‘overwhelming’, when the massive organ chords appear, after the words “Christ is born”.

Yes I remember that on the telly - was it last Christmas?

I do remember my wife jumping and spilling her coffee at that point!

(Edit: Just noticed it was 2007: I'm not very observant, I'm afraid. How time flies!)