Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pasting & adding links

AJJ

I wish I did, AJJ.

I usually draft text in a large-scale font in Word, for ease of viewing, then paste. This, of course, seems no longer to be possible.

I can also not change the font; this is annoying, as 'Ariel' allows some infelicities.

ADMINISTRATOR: please help !

Neither my laptop nor my pc will allow me to add links to 'externals' or paste onto here anymore - does anyone know what needs to be done?

Cheers

A

Has your computer (or, more correctly, Windows automatic updates) recently rolled-out I.E.11 (without you asking)....?

It may be connected with that. The fact that it works for some of us here and not others, suggests that it is not the board's software. However, others here who are more computer-literate than I will know whether I am on the right track or not.

On my computer, this 'improvement' has made several unwished-for visual changes to the way it displays my school portal - much to my annoyance. I am still trying to persuade it to undo these.

Thanks all and it is possible pcnd that what you suggest is the cause - we have had one or two odd things happen in recent days including my wife's work portal needing to be reset completely! We are meeting up with friends tomorrow one of whom is a systems architect for Microsoft so at an appropriate moment I might broach the subject.

A

My notebook has recently done a windows 7 automatic update and messed up my password. Also, every time I switch it on it wants to do an update when I turn off which I assume it fails to complete properly. And this was meant to be the backup for my main machine running out of date software!!!! Grrr Microsoft; I can see why people are going over to Apple.

PJW

My notebook has recently done a windows 7 automatic update and messed up my password. Also, every time I switch it on it wants to do an update when I turn off which I assume it fails to complete properly. And this was meant to be the backup for my main machine running out of date software!!!! Grrr Microsoft; I can see why people are going over to Apple.

PJW

Thank God Microsoft do not make cars: Aside from that fact that they would probably crash every two hours or so, at inconveniently crucial moments one would see a dialogue box which read something like:

'Are you sure you want the air-bag to deploy?'

And you thought Microsoft built dumb cars? You should try the equivalent Apple motoring product:

http://members.tripod.com/shadab_shaikh/carsa.html

Apologies to any die-hard Microsoft fans, or Apple fans - I hope we can all occasionally poke fun at ourselves harmlessly enough. Being a PC person myself I fail to understand the subtleties of some of the Apple jokes however, which is probably the point....

• 2 weeks later...

I have probably missed the point here because what I am about to suggest is so simple, but to those who are having difficulty pasting into this forum from Word, can you not save the finished Word document as a text-only (txt) file and then copy-and-paste from that? OK, this will be no good if you want to include anything other than basic text, such as images, hyperlinks, etc, but otherwise it ought to work. (In fact it does, because I've done it myself). You can then modify the pasted text using this forum's editing facilities to change fonts, underscore, etc, etc.

Word itself inserts a dreadful overhead of invisible control characters which are probably responsible for the difficulties (though they can be rendered visible from within Word if you really want to view them and thereby make yourself feel unwell - they have been aptly termed digital diarrhoea, not the best thing to suffer from at Christmas). Saving the document as a txt file removes all these, leaving only pure ASCII text codes.

CEP

Thanks for this, Colin.

This may be the answer (or some of it).

However, I'm still having reduced functionality with this- inputting the text directly. I cannot change the font, for example.

I haven't explored other editing options- and do not hope to understand programming, just use its results.

Umm ... I think it is a browser issue rather than a security issue.

I use Chrome and that's working fine.

I tried it in Firefox and that's fine too.

But when I tried Internet Explorer I got more or less the same problem; I could change the text colour, but I could not change the font and I could not paste in content.

I conclude that the new interface wasn't tested with Internet Explorer.

So, my strong recommendation is, download Google Chrome :)

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Best wishes

J

I've experienced problems with a number of sites when using IE11 even though they are W3C compliant.

All work fine with Chrome or F'Fox.

Here ends any use of IE by me other than for compatibility testing...