Mander Organ Builders Forum

Chris Manners RIP

MikeK

Members who new him will be saddened by the news that Chris Manners died suddenly, earlier today. Chris was for many years the Managing Director of Percy Daniels and organist of All Saints Church, Weston Super Mare.

May he rest in peace.

Chris was also Chairman of the Bath & Wells Diocesan Choral Association and a past Chairman of Somerset Organists & Choirmasters Association. A fine player and teacher and a lovely guy. Condolences to Elizabeth and his family. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Very sorry to hear this. I remember when I was a young man and had an interest in organ building which I hoped, despite being as young as I was, that I would pursue a career in on leaving school. I wrote to PD saying this and asking, IIRC, a few questions and put the letter in the post. Back came a letter from Chris Manners inviting me for a tour of the Clevedon works. My Father and I took the invitation up and the result was a thoroughly interesting afternoon.

Chris was a thoroughly decent man and I pass on my condolences to his wife and all who knew him. May he rest in peace.

Dave

I remember first meeting Chris at St. Mary's, Thornbury, where I was also baptised. Daniels had rebuilt the organ there. I last remember seeing him whilst he was visiting his son at the Birmingham Conservatiore when I was also a student there. I took him to see and play the Ken Tickell practice organs there and he seemed to enjoy them. It's very sad to learn of his passing. J