Mander Organ Builders Forum

Jean-Jacques Grunenwald

timothyguntrip

I've recently been delving more into the rather neglected and underplayed organ works of this gentleman, since hearing his Hymne aux Memoires Heroiques at a recital earlier this year.

Much of his oeuvre appears to still be in print, except the particular piece I'm looking for - Diptyque Liturgique, originally published by H.W.Gray. Even the RCO library doesn't have a copy of it, and after much searching via Google, I've hit point blank.

Would anyone know where this work might be available from?

Best regards to all for the New Year.

VA

I agree - there's some really great stuff in the two suites. I have a copy of D Roth's copy of the Diptyque made with Mme Grunenwald's permission. I believe only 1000 were ever printed by HW Gray. If you can get the OK I can supply pdf's.

mgp

• 1 month later...

Write to the licensing dept at Alfred Music Publishing who now owns the HW Gray catalogue. They've been very responsive in giving me permission at no charge to get authorised copies from the British library of their works.

Email address is permissions@alfred.com

NB

• 1 month later...

I've recently been delving more into the rather neglected and underplayed organ works of this gentleman, since hearing his Hymne aux Memoires Heroiques at a recital earlier this year.

Much of his oeuvre appears to still be in print, except the particular piece I'm looking for - Diptyque Liturgique, originally published by H.W.Gray. Even the RCO library doesn't have a copy of it, and after much searching via Google, I've hit point blank.

Would anyone know where this work might be available from?

Best regards to all for the New Year.

VA

Recordings show that he was also a superb improvisor. In fact, I should far rather listen to him than Dupré, who, whilst possessed of a fabulous technique and intellect always sounded rather dull and dry.

I second the fact that he was a superb improviser. I happened to be at St Sulpice just two weeks before he died and had been invited upstairs to the console. Although he appeared sick (I hadn't realised how sick), his improvisations in the mass were superb. There happened to be an American downstairs who was recording his playing that day, with permission, and he eventually sent me a copy of the recording. I speculate that this might be his final improvisation on record, but still quite amazing.