Mander Organ Builders Forum

Percy Whitlock Five Short Pieces

Christine Jose Rigby

There is a copy available from sheetmusicwarehouse for £16 - quite steep that! Better value might be to treat yourself to a copy of the OUP album - The Complete Shorter Organ Works of PW. This contains the Five Short Pieces, Three Reflections, Four Extemporisations + the Psalm Sketches and the Hymn Preludes. Sadly I left my copy of the 5 SPs behind in the organ loft at Salisbury Cathedral after playing there for a service in about 1990 and haven't seen it since!

Thank you for the information Martin. The OUP album is good value for money. I will pass this on to the person who wants the music.

As a small token of encouragement, I've given him the Jennifer Bate recording - she was good enough to autograph the CD for me the other day.

Shame you weren't able to retrieve your music from Salisbury.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a great pity that the page turns in the OUP compilation are not better arranged. There should be no need for a page turn in a 2-side piece, such as the Scherzo from the 5 Short. This was not the case when all this music was available in separate albums. The compilation is full of it, and yet there is a blank page at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Avoiding starting another topic on a similar subject, if anyone has a copy of any of the following which they wish to sell, I'd be most appreciative. If you are able to help, contact me via PM. I'm always scouting the usual second-hand places, but these are the ones which never seem to show up - and most, if not all, of them are long out of print.

VA

- W. Albright - Sweet Sixteenths
- Y. Bowen - Melody in G minor
- H. Mulet - Offertoire Funebre / Priere / Offertoire pour la Fete du Tres Saint Rosaire
- E. Hovland - Toccata 'Now Thank We All Our God'
- E. Mignan - Toccata Medievale
- E. Bullock - Improvisation on a Tune of Orlando Gibbons

Hello,

Avoiding starting another topic on a similar subject, if anyone has a copy of any of the following which they wish to sell, I'd be most appreciative. If you are able to help, contact me via PM. I'm always scouting the usual second-hand places, but these are the ones which never seem to show up - and most, if not all, of them are long out of print.

VA

- W. Albright - Sweet Sixteenths
- Y. Bowen - Melody in G minor
- H. Mulet - Offertoire Funebre / Priere / Offertoire pour la Fete du Tres Saint Rosaire
- E. Hovland - Toccata 'Now Thank We All Our God'
- E. Mignan - Toccata Medievale
- E. Bullock - Improvisation on a Tune of Orlando Gibbons

the Hovland is available.

Cheers

tiratutti

• 4 weeks later...

I am just beginning my exploration of Whitlock and fortunately I was gifted a copy of "The Complete Shorter Organ Music" OUP and "Plymouth Suite" OUP. I agree with Peter about the page turn for a two page piece. Other than that the OUP editions are great - clear print in elegantly bound books. WM