Mander Organ Builders Forum

I Have Done My Duty

Justadad

Apologies if this is slightly tangential, but Justason is coming back to the UK in July, having spent three years as organist at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco.

'I Have Done My Duty' is an anthem for men's voices, by Barry Ferguson, which he would like to do at his last Evensong. Unfortunately neither he nor the publishers have, as yet, been able to find the music.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction, please?

J

David Price (who was one of Barry F's organ scholars at Rochester) might have copies at Portsmouth. I'll ask him and let you know.

When I once wanted copies of a hymn tune he had written I found Barry Ferguson extremely helpful and obliging. (On the other hand, he did once pinch one of my choristers for the Rochester choir. Silly boy is now a Vicar!)

Malcolm

Sorry - Portsmouth don't have copies and David Price doesn't know the piece. On Monday give Richard Barnes of Cathedral Music a call (01243 379968) as he often has odd copies of things like this amongst his vast collection. Tell him I suggested that you rang.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. I'll do that.

Lawrence goes back to SF on Monday - he's at New College now for EH's retirement party - and I'm waiting to hear if Barry F has given another member here permission to release his phone number.

I asked Lawrence about copyright and he said Grace will pay from its music budget, so I hope it's possible to speak with Barry before too long.

Best wishes

J