Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not presumptuous to mention it, after thirteen years at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, Newfoundland, I have been appointed to Christchurch Cathedral, Fredericton, New Brunswick. It's a fine, cruciform church, partly by Butterfield, modelled on Snettisham Church, Norfolk, and has a very nice four-manual Casavant.

Congratulations, David. I hope that you will enjoy your new post - and the instrument.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Christopher Jones, Organ Scholar and a verger of Bristol Cathedral, to be Organ Scholar of Blackburn Cathedral starting in September.

(Source: News and Notes sheet from Bristol Cathedral, 26th June 2016. I know not if Mr. Jones is a on this forum: apologies to him for stealing his thunder if he is).

Dave

Interesting to see that it is a 2-year fixed-term appointment.

Some chat on Facebook this morning among people in the area hinted that an appointment might have already been made, but no names were mentioned and I obviously can't comment further on that.

'tis a pity the Llandaff copywriter and/or proof reader doesn't know the difference between Principle and Principal!

The same confusion has just happened on the front cover of the Spring Pugin Society Journal. They were very quick to email members to apologise. There can be problems when the writer is also proof reader as I know to my cost!

Leeds Minster has just advertised for a Director of Music in succession to Simon Lindley.

Interesting to see that it is a 2-year fixed-term appointment.

It is interesting that the goals are somewhat open-ended as well. It seems to me that this is more of a pioneering role than many such jobs, in which the person appointed will have a degree of freedom to determine how the musical life of Leeds Minister is developed. I think that this would be a great opportunity for someone with creative energy to invest - there are a good facilities (generous song room, music library, good organ), an established community of loyal singers and instrumentalists, and lots of potential in the area: schools, universities, the College of Music...if I were not starting ordination training, I'd be applying. I'll watch for the appointment with interest.

Like Vox Humana, I do find this thread rather odd. I mean, why are we discussing what is really private information about someone's family? If any of them are reading it, might they say to themselves something like "excuse me, I do exist you know". It's a bit like discussing somebody who happens to be within earshot in the same room ...

Sorry guys, but rather bad form IMHO. I don't mind being seen as a net-nanny, and I've pressed the 'Report' button on this.

CEP