Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

Appointment of new Director of Music
Posted: 19 Jun 2018

The Dean of St George's Cathedral, Southwark is delighted to announce that Jonathan Schranz has been appointed to be the Cathedral Director of Music with effect from January 2019. 
Canon Richard Hearn says, "Jonathan will bring a great deal to the role and I am confident that he will build upon the great work that his predecessor Norman Harper has done both in developing the choir and enhancing the music tradition at St George's Cathedral".

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

All change at Worcester Cathedral - yesterday I finished as Assistant Director of Music to move to the new post of Assistant Director of Music across College Green at the King's School, Worcester, and Peter Nardone announced that he has stood down as Director of Music, also with effect from yesterday (see the cathedral website, www.worcestercathedral.org.uk) to pursue freelance singing, conducting and composing. 

Nicholas Freestone takes over the Assistant post next week (as previously mentioned on this thread I think), and I believe the cathedral will be making an announcement in due course about interim arrangements before the process begins to appoint a new Organist and Director of Music.

Looking at the Worcester Cathedral Service list for September it seems that James Lancelot is named as Interim Director of Music following Dr Peter Nardone's unexpected departure mentioned earlier in this thread. I, for one, am pleased that the Foundation will have someone of his calibre to lead them through what must be a difficult time until the process of electing a successor to Dr. Nardone is completed. Our thought and prayers must go out to all who sing and serve at Worcester.

21 hours ago, David Cynan Jones said:

Looking at the Worcester Cathedral Service list for September it seems that James Lancelot is named as Interim Director of Music following Dr Peter Nardone's unexpected departure mentioned earlier in this thread. I, for one, am pleased that the Foundation will have someone of his calibre to lead them through what must be a difficult time until the process of electing a successor to Dr. Nardone is completed. Our thought and prayers must go out to all who sing and serve at Worcester.

Presumably he moved down to / near Worcester after leaving Durham. Good choice for interim DoM.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2018 at 21:23, Rowland Wateridge said:

I have heard today that pcnd5584 is playing at St Stephen’s Bournemouth, but was not told in what capacity.  My informant said he is very happy there.

Maybe as assistant. Church website says that the current DoM has been there, on his second spell as organist, since 1994.

Dave

On 28/12/2018 at 21:23, Rowland Wateridge said:

I have heard today that pcnd5584 is playing at St Stephen’s Bournemouth, but was not told in what capacity.  My informant said he is very happy there.

I did gather from the gentleman in question that he is helping out there in an unofficial capacity as and when needed, although that seems to be most weeks. He does appear to be very content.