Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I, too, have been informed. Subsequent to his accident and other serious health issues last year, these are things which cannot be taken lightly. Despite all this, and once out of intensive care and back at the helm, I was told he did not miss a single practice with the boys. Commitment and dedication, indeed.

He will need to pace himself, so that he returns fit to take up the reigns as he draws towards the end of his distinguished tenure.

1 hour ago, David Cynan Jones said:

It was in last weeks as well - as was a Senior Music Minister to succeed Noel Tredinnick at All Soul's Langham Place and a Director of Music at St. Margaret's Westminster..

4 hours ago, Vox Humana said:

"...and a commitment to explore new ways of developing that tradition for future generations." Erm...?

Because it’s preferable for everything to stay exactly as it was in 1549/1662/1928/1953*.

*delete as appropriate

56 minutes ago, innate said:

Because it’s preferable for everything to stay exactly as it was in 1549/1662/1928/1953*.

*delete as appropriate

I doubt that's what they are saying. I was just wondering what they do mean by this statement, which is about as specific as promises about Brexit.

The complete sentence is: "They will be able to demonstrate their passion for the choral tradition of the Church of England and a commitment to explore new ways of developing that tradition for future generations."

The website contains a detailed application pack which expands somewhat on the above. Having read it I would suggest that the 'new ways' are about ensuring a supply of choristers, providing equal opportunities for girls and engagement with the local community. Much the same challenges as the church in general faces in this modern world.

• 2 months later...
On 08/04/2019 at 14:56, michaelwilson said:

Is Mr Richford off to anywhere in particular? I hear his work at Romsey Abbey was held in high regard.

I don't know the Romsey set up at all and have never heard any of the choirs, but the whole musical thing there looked astonishingly good - just what any thinking church would want to encourage and a great example of music being central to church life. Great to see... and to be part of, I imagine!

Confirmation via the Blackburn Cathedral website of the appointment of John Robinson, former Organ Scholar at St John's College Cambridge and Assistant Organsit at Carlisle and Canterbury Cathedrals currently in America as Director of Music at St. Paul’s Choir School, Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts.  He succeeds Sam Hudson who leaves for Worcester Cathedral.

https://www.blackburncathedral.com/new-director-of-music/ 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...