Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

A quick heads-up: the music list on the website of Exeter Cathedral says that tomorrow (10th January) at 4pm will be the installation of Tim Noon as the new DoM. The music list for this service reads:

Responses: Bernard Rose

Hymns: 57, 48 (NEH)

Psalm: 46

Canticles: Herbert Brewer in D

Anthem: There shall a star (Mendelssohn)

Voluntary: Final (Symphonie I) - Vierne

The service sounds like it may be a fairly full house as it also includes the installation of the new headmaster of the Cathedral School and new choristers.

I would probably go if I didn't live in Bristol as I have never heard either Brewer's Canticles or the anthem by Mendelssohn.

Dave

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

There has been quite a clear-out (or should it be exodus?) from Newcastle Cathedral in recent years. Scott Farrell and James Norrey to Rochester and now the departure of Michael Stoddart. Perhaps there's unfavourable news regarding the restoration of the pipe organ?

... absolutely... and the Vierne will be a good romp too! Didn't they have a new 32ft reed when Exeter was rebuilt? If so, you'll have a chance to hear that in this piece for sure!

The new 32ft. reed (Contra Trombone, an extension of the existing Trombone) arrived at the previous rebuild, in 1999-2000. It is a useful stop and, despite being half-length in the 32ft. octave, is a suitable foundation to the tutti. Low B is an odd, slightly unpleasant note, otherwise the stop is well worth having.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was totally appalled to see this news from one of my favourite cathedrals today, where our daughter was one of their founding Girl Choristers. http://lackcompassion.blogspot.co.uk/

Did they give a reason? Does that mean that the girls' choir is being disbanded?

I know very little, other than what one can read on the Blogspot post and the comments on it.
Rumour has it (and I can't confirm this) that something like this was mentioned in the Job Spec for the new DoM.

Rumour has it (and I can't confirm this) that something like this was mentioned in the Job Spec for the new DoM.

I remember seeing the Job Spec for the DoM and someone pointing out to me a tacit implication that the organ loft personnel were being reduced from three to two. Typically such reorganisations happen due to personalities (which doesn't seem to be the case here) or money. I wonder if, in due course, they will appoint an organ scholar.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's not presumptuous to mention it, after thirteen years at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, Newfoundland, I have been appointed to Christchurch Cathedral, Fredericton, New Brunswick. It's a fine, cruciform church, partly by Butterfield, modelled on Snettisham Church, Norfolk, and has a very nice four-manual Casavant.

If it's not presumptuous to mention it, after thirteen years at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, Newfoundland, I have been appointed to Christchurch Cathedral, Fredericton, New Brunswick. It's a fine, cruciform church, partly by Butterfield, modelled on Snettisham Church, Norfolk, and has a very nice four-manual Casavant.

And someone else that we both know, I think, David — Ian Sadler — has recently been appointed to St James' Cathedral, Toronto.

Congrats: in a way, you’re going home to East Anglia, David !

Confusingly, the Cathedral website shows a 3-manual (acoustic guitar superimposed), whereas an interweb search provides good shots of the instrument: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMP86A_Christ_Church_Cathedral_Organ_Fredericton_NB.

I’m sure, once you have your feet firmly under the bench, you’ll provide us here with some kind of organ tour.

Congratulations. Enjoy the new challenges.

Every Blessing

Tony