• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertised in the Church Times today:

St Matthew's, Northampton seek to appoint an Organist & Director of Music

from January 2017

following the appointment of Stephen Moore as
Organist and Master of the Choristers at Llandaff Cathedral.

Closing date for applications: Wednesday 21 September 2016

Advertised in the Church Times today:

St Matthew's, Northampton seek to appoint an Organist & Director of Music

from January 2017

following the appointment of Stephen Moore as

Organist and Master of the Choristers at Llandaff Cathedral.

Closing date for applications: Wednesday 21 September 2016

On the website of Llandaff Cathedral:

http://www.llandaffcathedral.org.uk/appointment-of-director-of-music/

Dave

Bradford Cathedral facebook page has this -

We are delighted to announce that the new Organist and Director of Music at Bradford Cathedral will be Alex Berry, currently Assistant Organist at Magdalen College, Oxford, and Tutor to the Choristers at Magdalen College School, Oxford.
He will be joining us in January 2017 to work with Jon Payne ( Assistant Director of Music). Jon has joined us this week and is looking forward to a busy but well planned term with the Cathedral Choir.
Alex Berry succeeded Alex Woodrow in 2008 as Organ Scholar at Guildford Cathedral, and has held posts since at Queens' College & Kings' Cambridge, Ely Cathedral and Magdalen Oxford).
We have appointed an exceptional musician of really distinguished calibre, who will be capable of inspiring the music department to the highest levels.
Alex Berry also takes over the mantle of being the youngest Cathedral Organist from Alex Woodrow. Excellent footsteps to follow
Also to be noted Alex and Jon will be replacing Alex and Jonathan!

Alex Woodrow has taken up an appointment as Head of Choral Music at Solihull School as of this term.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure if this news was posted at the time but it would appear that, sometime in 2015 or before, Marcus Huxley was made a (presumably Honorary) Canon of Birmingham Cathedral. Wasn't aware of this myself until I looked in next week's Radio Times mag and saw that, at the end of the music listing for BBC Radio 3's Choral Evensong broadcast - which will be from Birmingham Cathedral - he is referred to as Canon Marcus.

HTIOI,

Dave

I think the title depends on the place. Lay canons are a fairly new idea in English Cathedrals. Elsewhere, the idea is still fairly new, but may not involve the creation of an entirely new breed, since canons may not have to be (according to statute) in holy orders.

I would have thought *Lay* Canon rather than Honorary Canon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think James Lancelot holds a similar position at Durham.

Just had a look at Durham's website and you are correct as it says James Lancelot is a Lay Canon. Birmingham Cathedral's website, however, simply refers to Marcus Huxley as Canon Marcus Huxley, without specifying whether he is a Lay canon or otherwise.

The only other cathedral organist I have come across who was a Canon (of any sort) of the Cathedral where he was organist was T.H Davies, Organist (and Master of Choristers?) at Wells Cathedral 1899 - 1933 who became Canon Precentor there in 1920: this, I understand, made him the only person ever to hold a simultaneous post of canon residentiary well as cathedral organist of one of the old foundation cathedrals.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...