Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St Peter and St Pauls Lavenham have just said farewell to their organist - the organ there started life as a three manual Father Willis transplanted from another church, with a fourth manual Solo apparently coming from the remains of a one manual local instrument.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11524243/Church-organists-sacking-strikes-a-sour-note-as-choir-walk-out-en-masse.html

Wonder what the actual story is.....

Apologies to our hosts if this is considered not appropriate for this board but after reading the Lavenham story in the linked article I tried to Google "Organist dismissal Muswell Hill Bate" [without the quote marks] and got no relevant hits. I thought legal precedents had been set in that earlier case.

I haven't seen an ad for the DoM job at Exeter which will be available in September I believe. Has an appointment been made?

It has just appeared on the Exeter Cathedral website.

• 1 month later...

Ben Bloor, currently Organ Scholar at Westminster Cathedral, previously Organ Scholar at St George's Chapel, Windsor and New College, Oxford, to be the Michael James Assistant Sub-Organist at Rochester Cathedral from 1 September 2015.

This new position replaces the posts of Cathedral Organist (currently held by Adrian Bawtree) and Organ Scholar (currently Jack Spencer).

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen an ad for the DoM job at Exeter which will be available in September I believe. Has an appointment been made?

I was at Evensong there yesterday. The chap sitting just behind me was wearing a badge that said "Tim Noon".

Ian

I was at Evensong there yesterday. The chap sitting just behind me was wearing a badge that said "Tim Noon".

Ian

Quote from the said Mr Noon's Facebook page today:

"Very thrilled that from January I will be Director of Music at Exeter Cathedral."

Robert Fielding (who was my organ teacher when I started out) spent quite a few years there and I didn't realise he had gone. Has he retired, or simply gone elsewhere? And when did he finish?

Dave

As far as I know, he is still in-post, until the end of term. I believe that he is moving into property developing. (He has also run a wedding car hire firm for a number of years.)

George Richford was formerly Director of Music at Saint Mary's, Newark, Notts.

As far as I know, he is still in-post, until the end of term. I believe that he is moving into property developing. (He has also run a wedding car hire firm for a number of years.)

George Richford was formerly Director of Music at Saint Mary's, Newark, Notts.

....and Dartford PC.

A

• 1 month later...

Dr. Stephen Tympany has been appointed Organist & Master of the Choristers at Armagh Cathedral (CofI), in succession to Theo Saunders. Stephen has been covering for some time while Theo was on sick leave. He has been a leading light in church music in Northern Ireland for many years and was for a long time in charge of the music at Banbridge Parish Church. This sounds to me to be a very good appointment.

Kris Thomsett, currently Organ Scholar at Salisbury, to be Assistant DoM at Newcastle Cathedral.

Formerly 6th form Organ Scholar at King's, Rochester (and an excellent Alto in the Cathedral Voluntary Choir), then Chelmsford (gap-year) and Norwich (UEA).

• 3 months later...

David Pipe has been appointed as Director of the Organ School and Organist of Leeds Cathedral from May 2016.

David is to head the new Organ School, a partnership between the Diocese of Leeds Music Department and The Royal College of Organists, the national body for accrediting and training organists and choir directors, with an international reputation for excellence. Posted on the RCO Website

James Norrey to be the Michael James Assistant Sub-Organist at Rochester from January 2016 in succession to Ben Bloor.
Ben, who joined us in September, has been appointed Organist of the London Oratory.

• 2 weeks later...