Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/06/2022 at 20:13, Classic car man said:

Internal appointment of Stephen Mannings to DOM at Liverpool Cathedral following Lee Ward's departure last year.  

Mr Mannings is listed as Interim Director of Music, which may be subject to the post being  advertised. Has anyone seen an advert of confirmation of a substantive appointment? 

Just because the Cathedral has been low key about this, David, doesn't mean my post was inaccurate, but yes, this appointment is confirmed, else I wouldn't have posted to the group!

Notwithstanding personal contact, this from facebook a couple of weeks ago:

Choral Eucharist at Liverpool Cathedral is at 10.30am and will be sung by the boys’ girls’ and adult voices of the Cathedral Choir, directed by newly appointed Director of Music, Stephen Mannings and accompanied by Ian Tracey, Cathedral Organist.

On 18/06/2022 at 22:23, Classic car man said:

Just because the Cathedral has been low key about this, David, doesn't mean my post was inaccurate, but yes, this appointment is confirmed, else I wouldn't have posted to the group!

Notwithstanding personal contact, this from facebook a couple of weeks ago:

Choral Eucharist at Liverpool Cathedral is at 10.30am and will be sung by the boys’ girls’ and adult voices of the Cathedral Choir, directed by newly appointed Director of Music, Stephen Mannings and accompanied by Ian Tracey, Cathedral Organist.

Thanks for confirming this. I did not mean to call into question the integrity of your post it's just that as you say the Cathedral has not publicised the appointment.

New appointment at Worcester College, Oxford.

Worcester College is delighted to be building on its long and distinguished musical history with the appointment of a new Director of College Music.

Helen Smee joins the College as the first holder of this position. Since 2011 Helen has been Director of Music in the south-west London parish of St Mary Merton, where her work included the considerable expansion of the choral and organ provision for young people in the local area. A talented choral trainer with strong interests in widening representation and participation in music, Helen is also director of the Frideswide Voices of Christ Church, the resident girls’ choir in the cathedral, which had its beginnings in Worcester College Chapel in 2014 and which sang here for several years. Helen studied at Cambridge and at the Royal Academy of Music, at which she has recently been made Associate. She has also worked with the National Youth Choirs of Great Britain and co-founded the Voices of London Festival in 2013.

https://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/about/news/new-director-college-music

• 2 weeks later...

Lucian would have been so proud.

This is a fantastic appointment. There is no finer choir trainer in the 'cathedral'/college world; John's has just got better and better.

It begs the question what will happen to the mooted change of instrument at St John's.

On 06/07/2022 at 09:34, John Furse said:

It begs the question what will happen to the mooted change of instrument at St John's.

It will save them some money!  John's has quite a tradition of new organists being dissatisfied with the instrument they find!

57 minutes ago, Andrew Butler said:

It will save them some money!  John's has quite a tradition of new organists being dissatisfied with the instrument they find!

Perhaps the new incumbent will continue the tradition?

• 2 weeks later...

Changes at Buckfast Abbey:

- Philip Arkwright (Organist and Master of the Music) to be Chief Executive Officer, Buckfast Abbey
- Matthew Searles (Assistant Master the Music) to be Organist and Master of the Music, Buckfast Abbey

(Source: Facebook post from the "Music at Buckfast Abbey" page)

Dave

Just now, michaelwilson said:

...to St Mary’s, Bourne Street. I wonder what the attraction of such a move would be...?

Bourne Street is a Sunday only job, I think, so it must be alongside something else (Paul Brough combined it with Keble, of course)...

Well... beautiful liturgy, a wonderful building, experienced and committed adult professional singers, no undergraduate flakiness in terms of attendance and reliability, no annual angst when your organ scholar doesn't make their A Level grades, freedom to pursue other activities as and when you like, the absence of college politics.....Oxbridge DoM jobs are not the glamorous things they might appear to be, for all the glossy accoutrements that come with them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/07/2022 at 15:28, DaveHarries said:

Changes at Buckfast Abbey:

- Philip Arkwright (Organist and Master of the Music) to be Chief Executive Officer, Buckfast Abbey
- Matthew Searles (Assistant Master of the Music) to be Organist and Master of the Music, Buckfast Abbey

(Source: Facebook post from the "Music at Buckfast Abbey" page)

Dave

Further to the above post that I made last month a Facebook post on the "Music at Buckfast Abbey" page advises that applications are now open for a replacement Assistant Master of the Music. It is also mentioned here: https://www.buckfast.org.uk/careers

It is mentioned in the job description for the AMoM post that Philip Arkwright was promoted to the CEO position: he is also referred to as Master of the Music Emeritus.

Dave