Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

On 05/12/2014 at 23:47, John Robinson said:

Yes, a single diocese with three cathedrals: Ripon, Wakefield and Bradford. Strangely, I think it is now called the Diocese of Leeds(?).

Hi

This is old news.  This arrangement started to come3 into place when I was still in Bradford - and I've been retired nearly 9 years.  The then fairly newly appointed Bishop of Bradford got the "top job" - not sure what the actual structure is - it wasn't relevant to me.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent appointment announced today - Tom Daggett (OBE Outreach Fellow at St Paul's) to be new DoM etc at Sheffield Cathedral.  He has done inspirational and massively valuable work in London since his appointment helping many young people to enjoy their singing and others to make a start on the organ, too. 

New Director of Music appointed at Sheffield Cathedral

https://www.sheffieldcathedral.org/news/2023/3/23/sheffield-cathedral-appoints-new-director-of-music

Tom Daggett appointed as Director of Music.

We're delighted to announce the appointment of @tom_daggett as our new Director of Music and Schools Singing Programme. Tom, a conductor and organist regarded as one of the leading musical educators in the UK, will join us this summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A snippet related, albeit slightly, to church music as well as clergy matters. On Friday morning it was announced by the Bishop of Durham that the next Dean of Durham Cathedral; is to be Rev. Canon Dr. Philip Plyming who trained for ordination at, and is currently warden of, Cranmer Hall and a member of the college of canons of Durham Cathedral. The connection with church music is that Dr. Plyming is, as he himself said at his announcing, also a former chorister of Durham Cathedral.

HTIOI,
Dave

12 minutes ago, DaveHarries said:

A snippet related, albeit slightly, to church music as well as clergy matters. On Friday morning it was announced by the Bishop of Durham that the next Dean of Durham Cathedral; is to be Rev. Canon Dr. Philip Plyming who trained for ordination at, and is currently warden of, Cranmer Hall and a member of the college of canons of Durham Cathedral. The connection with church music is that Dr. Plyming is, as he himself said at his announcing, also a former chorister of Durham Cathedral.

HTIOI,
Dave

Really? I trained at Cramner with Philip as warden and he never mentioned this. Could you provide a reference for this, please?

1 hour ago, petergunstone said:

Really? I trained at Cramner with Philip as warden and he never mentioned this. Could you provide a reference for this, please?

Yep, with pleasure. It was only announced on Friday 16th June 2023.
Video of announcement (from Durham Cathedral's Facebook Page): 
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=277615614814080

Announcement from Diocese of Durham Website:
https://www.durhamdiocese.org/diocesan-news/-philip-plyming-appointed-as-new-dean-of-durham.php

Installation, according to the announcement by Bishop Paul, is set for Saturday 16th September.

Dave

12 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

Yep, with pleasure. It was only announced on Friday 16th June 2023.
Video of announcement (from Durham Cathedral's Facebook Page): 
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=277615614814080

Announcement from Diocese of Durham Website:
https://www.durhamdiocese.org/diocesan-news/-philip-plyming-appointed-as-new-dean-of-durham.php

Installation, according to the announcement by Bishop Paul, is set for Saturday 16th September.

Dave

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My question was about your comment: "The connection with church music is that Dr. Plyming is, as he himself said at his announcing, also a former chorister of Durham Cathedral." The formal announcement, nor the Q&A included any reference to this, as far as I can see. Could you give a reference for this?

8 hours ago, petergunstone said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My question was about your comment: "The connection with church music is that Dr. Plyming is, as he himself said at his announcing, also a former chorister of Durham Cathedral." The formal announcement, nor the Q&A included any reference to this, as far as I can see. Could you give a reference for this?

Ah I see where you are coming from. If you watch the video of the announcement in the cathedral Dr. Plyming says at one point: "I know Durham Cathedral as a place of worship and as a former chorister whose faith came alive in services of Choral Evensong I look forward to seeing its worshipping tradition flourish." I may have made a slight error in assuming that he meant Choral Evensong at Durham: I have just found a bit in which he says that he "went to church as a child but came to a personal faith in Christ while at university." His entry on Wikipedia says that he studied Russian and German at Robinson College, Cambridge where he gained a BA in 1996. ANyway if he was a chorister, regardless of wherever, then there is the church music connection.

2 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

Ah I see where you are coming from. If you watch the video of the announcement in the cathedral Dr. Plyming says at one point: "I know Durham Cathedral as a place of worship and as a former chorister whose faith came alive in services of Choral Evensong I look forward to seeing its worshipping tradition flourish." I may have made a slight error in assuming that he meant Choral Evensong at Durham: I have just found a bit in which he says that he "went to church as a child but came to a personal faith in Christ while at university." His entry on Wikipedia says that he studied Russian and German at Robinson College, Cambridge where he gained a BA in 1996. ANyway if he was a chorister, regardless of wherever, then there is the church music connection.

Thanks. Indeed, Philip is very musical, appreciates a wide range of musical styles, and gets the role of music (or various musicks) in worship. A wonderful appointment from this and many other points of view.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An appointment from Bristol: I have just come across this on Facebook:

- - - - - - - - - -

We’re delighted to announce that from September, William Forrest will take up the new post of Music Assistant in the Cathedral Music Department.

William will be playing the organ, assisting with chorister rehearsals, and helping with choral outreach. William joins us from Cardiff, where he was Assisting Organist at the St Martin in Roath Church, Cardiff while studying for an MA in Arts Management at the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama.

[Facebook, Bristol Cathedral]
Source: https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fbristolcathedral%2Fposts%2Fpfbid025g3MwSMjjMy3CYZKfznEVf5agUV1beacRtiEWq9zJV5XEUdRnxJbVa5DA4mbbUrXl

- - - - - - - - - -

Not a name I know of but welcome to Bristol William.
Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...