Mander Organ Builders Forum

organstops.org - where's it gone?

Simon Walker

Hello all - it's ages since I last posted anything here - but I do still read.

Anyway - does anyone know what happened to the useful website 'Encyclopedia of organ stops'. I have no idea whether the website is British or American or whatever. It had grown quite large, with sound clips, and an absolutely huge number of definitions and quotes from various sources. Now when I try to log on to it I get 'website could not be found'..... Shame - what happened?

I also can't access the site directly, receiving a This web page is not available message when I try.

It is clearly online, as Google is still caching it. If you use Google as your search engine, enter "organstops" and the name of the stop you would like to examine, a link to the page will appear as one of the search results. Next to the URL is a little arrow pointing down, which when clicked, gives you the option to view the page as cached by Google.

It is a slow approach, but at least it will give you access.

SteveBarker77, is there a link on the site to contact the webmaster or send them an email to let them know that there is a problem?

It's possible these problems are a reflection of data jams caused by old hardware making up part of the internet infrastructure, which is creaking and outdated in some areas. It has been predicted that there will probably be a sudden increase in such problems, if it hasn't started already. See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28786954

I couldn't access this forum for a couple of days earlier this week but then it came back yesterday. A characteristic feature of the problem is that some people can access a given site whereas others can't.

CEP

Fiffaro, I've just looked and cannot see a link. I had no problem accessing the site.

Thanks, Basdav.

The site has come back to life for me, so I had a chance to hunt through and did find an email address for the person who runs it, Ed Stauff, and have sent him an email including a link to this thread.

I was interested to read a little about him. Those interested in also doing this should select the "Ap" tab after the alphabet letters, and than click on the "About the Author" tab.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably everyone has stopped following this thread by now, but, in case, I'll report back that my attempt to email Ed Stauff to let him know about the issue with organstops.org was unsuccessful as my email was returned with a "timed out" message. Google helped me find a Gmail address, so I've now forwarded my email to that.

In the meantime, I am no longer able to access the site and have had to resort to my workaround.

A shame, as it is particularly useful for my students.

In the past I have emailed Stauff more than once with info which I thought might be of interest, in response to his requests on the main site. Never the slightest response, acknowledgement or thanks. Nor has the info surfaced on his site. One rapidly decides not to bother any more in these circumstances. Pity, because I was not only offering info which could have augmented his site, but which also pointed out some errors.

I've just tried accessing the site and there was no problem. Thus unless Fiffaro is suffering from the problem I mentioned in #7, I can't think what is causing his continuing difficulties.

And as for Stauff's personal website which Fiffaro mentioned in #8, I'm not sure that the following pages would be suitable for the students he mentioned:

www.mewsic.com/ed/lit/index.html (and then click on the 'Midsummer Night's Dream' link at the bottom of the page).

I have deliberately not inserted this an a directly-clickable link here for reasons which I trust will be obvious if you try to go there. I did and regretted it.

CEP