Mander Organ Builders Forum

St James Arnside

Phoneuma

To cut a long story short myself and the good lady are having a trip to see friends in Morecambe next week and they always try to indulge us with an architectural or musical place of interest and I notice that St James Arnside appears to have some sort of Hope -Jones 'hybrid' for want of a better word. NPOR is a little unclear and lists Laycock and Bannister but with a passing ref. to Brindley and Foster stops knobs on an earlier survey and a more recent rebuild by Michael Fletcher. Ambleside is a little too far but on a future hit-list (same goes for Crosthwaite which is also worthy of a visit so I'm told).

Looks interesting - has anyone ever seen / heard or played it and it is worth a visit and some prior arrangements on my part? If not any other ideas would be welcome. We have an 'Austin and Paley' architectural tour as reserve as they would seem to be well worth a look on account of their sterling work on non-conformist and other church buildings in that area (Lancaster RC Cathedral being a prime example - any contacts there would also be of interest). Anywhere within an hour's drive or so from Morecambe would be manageable.

A bit short notice as we go Tuesday but any suggestions would be of interest and welcomed.

Thanks just in case.

The Ashton Hall organ in Lancaster is worth a visit. It's an old war horse by Norman and Beard with a beautiful Waring and Gillow case. It has on going restoration by Principal Pipe Organs so it's getting back to its former glory! There are free lunchtime recitals on Wednesdays with donations accepted so that should be worth catching

Possibly a bit over your hour's journey time, but the Heritage Centre of the Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust might be of interest. It's at Eccles, Manchester, just off the ring road (M62 from memory I think, on the west side of the city). You might be able to arrange a 'go' on their Wurlitzer if they don't have a concert, and the only museum dedicated to the doings of Hope-Jones is also there. If they do have a concert, they have some fine players there if theatre organs are your thing.

CEP

The Ashton Hall organ in Lancaster is worth a visit. It's an old war horse by Norman and Beard with a beautiful Waring and Gillow case. It has on going restoration by Principal Pipe Organs so it's getting back to its former glory! There are free lunchtime recitals on Wednesdays with donations accepted so that should be worth catching

Thank you for informing people about that organ which I for one had never heard of. A vintage four-manual Norman and Beard, it looks absolutely splendid with its finely polished wood case and handsome console, and furthermore appears to be blessed with a very active local organ-loving community who are committed to keeping it singing in fine condition. Their website, http://ahorp.org/ is hugely informative and demonstrates how much love and civic pride has been lavished on the instrument, with an active restoration and concert program. Players are even welcome to have a free play every lunchtime! What more could you want?

Thanks indeed for these suggestion - I must time it better for a Wednesday next time as our hosts are Waring and Gillow sleuths who seem to know every old factory building built by or for them in Lancaster, which looks to be the best bet anyway with some grotty weather scheming to keep us indoors. I'll try to steer past Arnside just in case and take the camera, you never know. The LTOT I ought to do on my own anyway, I'd certainly like to see the Burton - on - Trent bits and pieces at some time.

P

Players are even welcome to have a free play every lunchtime! (Ashton Hall)

Dash the blessed thing - someone has beat me to it! Next time I shall ring and book with more notice - a very amenable and helpful lady called Sue Little (on the website mentioned above) will arrange for an hours playing but be quick and more organised than I was. You get the Lancs. CC switchboard first when you call so ask to be put through to Sue. Gift aid envelope are left on the console for a donation to what seems like a very worthy cause. Splendid tip from Contrabombarde,