Mander Organ Builders Forum

St Paul’s Cathedral (loud, manual) reeds

John Furse

I call on the knowledge of members to point me in the direction of a CD/DVD/YouTube clip that demonstrates and, if possible, identifies the various Tubas and other (loud) reed stops.

This is following my recent purchase of the Hyperion CD containing the Tippett (St John’s) Magnificat and recorded last year. I must say that this performance gives the work new ‘clothes’, with the enhancement provided by the much larger and more resourceful St Paul’s organ and famous acoustic- in contrast to that of the relatively dry Cambridge chapel.

Thank you.

Simon Johnson's DVD gives a tour of the organ demonstrating all the big reeds, including the West Gallery firing squad, and in response to your request, a narrated playing of Cocker's Tuba Tune telling what stops are used, and when.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough - quite brilliant entertainment from start to finish.

Thank you, handsoff.

Priory's website didn't provide this information, when I looked- just a list of works performed.

No, it's on one of the 'extras'. Buy it; it's excellent, as all of the Priory DVDs are.

I call on the knowledge of members to point me in the direction of a CD/DVD/YouTube clip that demonstrates and, if possible, identifies the various Tubas and other (loud) reed stops.

This is following my recent purchase of the Hyperion CD containing the Tippett (St John’s) Magnificat and recorded last year.

Interesting that you have raised this as I have been wondering what Simon Johnson uses. I would put my money on the new Dome 8ft Tuba though whether that would be the stop he would choose for a performance in an actual service would be interesting to know.