Mander Organ Builders Forum

Parables

Tony Price

I'm considering a concert in June next year on the theme of Parables. The core of this would be WS Lloyd Webber's The Good Samaritan and Shutz's The Pharisee and the Publican (in English). I need to pad it out a bit beyond these two works, but am struggling to find music that fits the theme.

The concert would be accompanied by the organ, and, apart from anything else, hymn suggestions would be good.

Able but amateur SATB choir. Has any one any thoughts they might be prepared to offer. There seems to be nothing helpful I could find elsewhere on-line.

Many thanks, in hopeful anticipation.

Tony

Britten Cantata Misericordiam is also based on the Good Samaritan. Might be too hard though and too big for what you had in mind (25 mins, big Tenor solo, strings)?

The only other thing that comes to mind is Egressus Jesus by Giaches de Wert, which isn't a parable but is a gospel passage containing the verbal teaching of Jesus to the Canaanite woman whose daughter was possessed by a demon. (Matthew 15:21).

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the additional suggestions, and apologies for the tardy acknowledgement - just returned from time in Ludlow, and, yes, I did buy that DVD and am looking forward to watching it and listening to it!

The Britten is a little outside of the scope of what I had in mind, I fear. The de Wert is interesting: something else I'd never heard of!!

Tony