Mander Organ Builders Forum

Composer - James Biery

Martin Cooke

I know I have extolled the virtues of the new OUP albums of Hymn Settings for Organists before. Now that the first volume is well and truly in season, as it were, I am finding some real treasures within its pages. One of these is a beautiful and very straightforward piece entitled Cantilena - Mendelssohn by James Biery. It is utterly charming and exquisite as are numerous other items in this volume including those by the likes of Malcolm Archer, Christopher Tambling, David Thorne, Philip Moore, David Blackwell, Ashley Grote and many others.

Does anyone know of any other organ compositions by James Biery? Allegro list a few volumes but I would like a personal recommendation before making any purchases.

No response after two days!

........................ but you have a piece that is beautiful and very straightforward, utterly charming and exquisite. Given your description, I would take that as a recommendation, and I would be tempted to look at other pieces by James Biery.

In another thread I have said that I don't recommend Wikipedia - but, on there, there is a description, presumably written by the publishers, 'St Louis Cathedral Choral Series', of a number of Biery's choral works. Given your words above, and their descriptions, if I were still 'in the business' I would be tempted to buy a single copy of, perhaps, Ubi Caritas or O Sacrum Convivium - just to see what they were like! - to, possibly, widen the repertoire and to give a choir a change from Durufle and Messiaen (both of which, of course, are wonderful!)

I think, in your, clearly enthusiastic, critique of the Cantilena - Mendlessohn you have, actually, recommended the music to yourself!!

......................................... but, perhaps, that isn't helpful!

No response after two days!

........................ but you have a piece that is beautiful and very straightforward, utterly charming and exquisite. Given your description, I would take that as a recommendation, and I would be tempted to look at other pieces by James Biery.

In another thread I have said that I don't recommend Wikipedia - but, on there, there is a description, presumably written by the publishers, 'St Louis Cathedral Choral Series', of a number of Biery's choral works. Given your words above, and their descriptions, if I were still 'in the business' I would be tempted to buy a single copy of, perhaps, Ubi Caritas or O Sacrum Convivium - just to see what they were like! - to, possibly, widen the repertoire and to give a choir a change from Durufle and Messiaen (both of which, of course, are wonderful!)

I think, in your, clearly enthusiastic, critique of the Cantilena - Mendlessohn you have, actually, recommended the music to yourself!!

......................................... but, perhaps, that isn't helpful!

Yes, it's staring me in the face, isn't it! I will splash out on some more Biery organ music. Thanks for the prompt!!