Mander Organ Builders Forum

St Paul's Cathedral videos

Martin Cooke

Thank you for making me aware of this final verse of "O come". For me, personally, this song bears many remembrances to early services in catholic music in Austria, where I grew up, and in my following lutheran years in Germany. Both hymnals contained this piece, and as a singer I learned the nice Kodaly setting, too.

This setting by Andrew Carter and so many other arrangements are constantly proving that the art of decorating and reinforcing congregational singing and hymns is at its highest in English cathedrals.

The videos are a well planned/executed set; thank you Martin C for highlighting them. The Carter 'O come' arrangement (5vv) was published by OUP in 1986 - its not in Advent for Choirs (arrangement there is by Rutter). Carter sets it in F# minor which dovetails with his Toccata on OCOC which is in OUP's Christmas Organ Music published 1995. St Paul's recorded both on "Advent at St Paul's" Hyperion CDA66994/CDH556463 recorded 6/97 with the Royal Trumpets substituting for York's Tuba Mirabilis at the end.